Welcome to SwiftKey VIP Community

Welcome to SwiftKey VIP Community. Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple, free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of SwiftKey VIP Community by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members

cooljmy10

Dvorak Layout Request

Question

My primary device is Android based but my work phone is iOS based. I was pretty excited for iOS 8 and 3rd party keyboards since Apple doesn't support the Dvorak layout and that's what I use with my Android... but then I saw that swiftkey on iOS doesn't either :/

There is another keyboard out there for iOS that has Dvorak, so I know it's possible. Can this be added?

14 answers to this question

Hello, this has still not been added a feature yet. We are still keeping track of all these. We'll be sure to announce it via release notes and a blog.

Best,

Ryan

Hi Cooljmy,

Thanks for being excited on the iOS keyboard. This is the first version of the iOS app, so there are many more things to come. Just keep an eye out on the release notes when an app updates.

Feel free to suggest features here as well https://iossupport.swiftkey.com/hc/en-us

Any update on this?

Hi Cooljmy,

Thanks for being excited on the iOS keyboard. This is the first version of the iOS app, so there are many more things to come. Just keep an eye out on the release notes when an app updates.

Feel free to suggest features here as well https://iossupport.swiftkey.com/hc/en-us

Any update on this?

1 hour ago, habibalex said:

It's been 1.5 years and no dvorak yet...why not?

Maybe the team thinks it's not that important to add this layout.

I think more than 80% people still stick with QWERTY.

It's been 1.5 years and no dvorak yet...why not?

This seems like a fair question to me considering the fact that SwiftKey has included multiple alternative keyboard layouts on Android since before its official release.

I cannot speak for the team, but based on explanations about other iOS feature requests, this is my speculation: I have read before that Apple places very limiting restrictions on memory and RAM use for an app to be approved. The intelligence of the SwiftKey AI uses a lot of that quota without including other features. Which additional features claim any of the remaining resources will probably be focused on what benefits the most people. Hopefully things will change so that this and many other features that we Android users take for granted will become available to the iOS community as well.

I can understand your frustration, but realize we made no commitment to building this feature. 

The iOS third party keyboard API hasn't been as ground breaking as we thought it was going to be. We're still working on improving the iOS experience.

I have typed ONLY on Dvorak since 1991; it's a deal-breaker for me.  Currently using AnySoftKeyboard on my HTC.  I won't even look at SwiftKey until you offer Dvorak.

My desktop keyboard is a TypeMatrix 2030DV and I've got two spare ones; I need Dvorak.  90+ wpm; qwerty??? - about 5 via hunt & peck.

p.s.:  I also hate left-staggered keyboards.  We don't use typewriters anymore; you can straighten out the keyboard now.

2030-dvorak.png

I have typed ONLY on Dvorak since 1991; it's a deal-breaker for me.  Currently using AnySoftKeyboard on my HTC.  I won't even look at SwiftKey until you offer Dvorak.

My desktop keyboard is a TypeMatrix 2030DV and I've got two spare ones; I need Dvorak.  90+ wpm; qwerty??? - about 5 via hunt & peck.

p.s.:  I also hate left-staggered keyboards.  We don't use typewriters anymore; you can straighten out the keyboard now.

2030-dvorak.png

If you are on Android, Dvorak has been available since before June 2011. That is when I started using the app, so I can't confirm about before that.

To change keyboard layout (querty, Dvorak, et cetera)

1. Use the hamburger button on the left edge of the prediction bar to open up the hub.

2. Choose the gear icon to go to the Settings and Layout tab.

3. Choose the gear icon for "More" to access the full settings

3. Choose "Languages".

4. Your active languages should appear at the top. Directly under the language is a box with the keyboard layout.  Tap that box and it will give you alternatives available in your language.

Hopefully that helps you out.

Is there still a possibility it'll eventually be added? SwiftKey for android is so good :/

Anything is a possibility but as stated before no commitment has been made for SK to create in this language. Stay tuned tho!!

I think the public has spoken. Add devorak. My android version of this app has android. As an app developer myself I know this is not hard as you support different layouts already. I bet it would take a decent developer 15 minutes. Oh wait iOS. Maybe a bit more than 15. 

Funny thing. Say we will add something maybe. Over time becomes we will add something. Happens at every job. Never say you can unless you plan to. 

I just bought my first iPhone and the first thing that I did was install Swiftkey to get my loved DVORAK layout... now i am stuck with the qwerty layout. <_<

Please, add a DVORAK layout for iOS. There are others alternatives, but nothing compares to swiftkey.

Registered just to post on this topic. I had a lot of admiration for SwiftKey showing that they could support many different layouts easily, and not be just another big ass company that caters only to the masses and big guys.

Apple for all its "think different" mantra didn't see it fit to support people that truly think different and adopt Dvorak for all its goodness. Even the fellow-nerds at Google don't seem to see the need for this. SwiftKey had.

Come on SwiftKey support Dvorak on iOS and show Apple what it means to walk the walk and not just talk the talk about "Think Different".

Please, please, please, get this message to your Product and Engineering groups - they will understand and appreciate you for taking this to them!

Add Dvorak to SwiftKey iOS now!