Welcome to SwiftKey Insiders Community

This community has now become "SwiftKey Insiders" - built around SwiftKey users who want to help shape the future of SwiftKey products from the ground up. 

This is not a support community. If you are looking for general support, feedback and feature requests, please visit our support site here.

Note: this community is only available for SwiftKey for Android at this time

But if you would like to join our iOS or Windows lists to be notified when we launch on these platforms, please let us know.

Sign up here if you're interested in:

• Seeing early designs
  • Playing with prototypes
  • Taking surveys 
  • Giving thoughtful honest feedback

Prad

SwiftKey 5.2 is now live with Chinese Support

Prad    1,917

Hello VIPs,

After years and years of hard work and beta testing, we are proud to announce that Chinese is now available for use within the SwiftKey for Android app.

Here are the full release notes

Chinese language support

• QWERTY Pinyin input method for Simplified Chinese

• 12-Key Pinyin input method for Simplified Chinese

• Full Key Zhuyin input method for Taiwan Traditional Chinese

• 12-Key Zhuyin input method for Taiwan Traditional Chinese

• Cangjie input method for Hong Kong Traditional Chinese

• Quick Cangjie input method for Hong Kong Traditional Chinese

• Stroke input method for all three Chinese variants

• Support for separators between characters in Pinyin and Stroke

• Heatmap correction support for QWERTY Pinyin, Full Key Zhuyin, Cangjie and Quick Cangjie input methods

• Personalization of Chinese texts from the sources that SwiftKey typically supports, such as Gmail

Additional languages:

• Khmer

• Lao

Additional Improvements

- General bug fixes

- SwiftKey Store optimizations

Improvements after beta tests:

• Added Cangjie version 3 support. SwiftKey now supports both version 3 and version 5 simultaneously - no need to configure or switch. (this is actually almost the top request from beta users, and we reacted fairly quickly).

• Improved Taiwan Traditional Chinese language quality, especially Zhuyin input without tone marks.

• Improved first-time loading time and Chinese typing responsiveness.

• Optimised 9-Key Pinyin, 9-Key Zhuyin and Stroke layouts

• Improved 9-Key Zhuyin input

Not currently supported:

• Removing an unwanted prediction is currently not supported in Chinese

• Multilingual currently not supported, however the most common English words are available within the Chinese language model

• Predictive emoji is not currently supported in Chinese

• Fuzzy Pinyin is currently not supported

• Pinyin candidate “continuous selection” in 12-Key Pinyin layout is not currently supported

• Handwriting recognition input method is currently not supported

• SwiftKey Flow is not currently supported in Chinese

• Full multilingual between Pinyin and QWERTY based input is not supported

We have also added a Chinese New Year theme to this release. post-47027-0-58459700-1422549744_thumb.j

Go ahead and update your app now.

Read the full blog post SwiftKey now Supports Chinese

Let us know what you think.

Cheers,

Ryan

mfgillia    2

Still no support for pinyin input with traditional Chinese. As your own poll indicates many to most people favor pinyin and quite a few never learned zhuyin.

Therefore, the only decent option remains Swype + Dragon. This keyboard does provide pinyin with traditional characters.

Prad    1,917

Still no support for pinyin input with traditional Chinese. As your own poll indicates many to most people favor pinyin and quite a few never learned zhuyin.

Therefore, the only decent option remains Swype + Dragon. This keyboard does provide pinyin with traditional characters.

Hi mfgilla,

Thanks for the feedback. We will continue to work on and improve the Chinese product with feedback from the Community. I will be sure to bring this to the attention to the team.

Cheers,

Ryan

ufstampa    3
  • It would be nice for SwiftKey Chinese to add the 4 tones for each vowel, and you can take out the left over accent vowels, because you can just find them again in an English/Romanized keyboard.
  • Adding PinYin would be useful in an educational setting someone first learns Mandarin Chinese, creating teaching/studying material, or for lyrics. Note: Google Translate accommodates for the PinYin pronunciation.
  • For example:
  • ma1 or  (high level tone / flat tone)
  • ma2 or  (rising tone)
  • ma3 or  (falling rising tone)
  • ma4 or  (falling tone)

Don't forget to include ü (umlaut) and its 4 tones:  ǖ, ǘ, ǚ, ǜ

See image below as I smashed the keyboard together to get an idea.

12122591_10100403529053287_5742242151534

Edited by ufstampa
add image

Prad    1,917
  • It would be nice for SwiftKey Chinese to add the 4 tones for each vowel, and you can take out the left over accent vowels, because you can just find them again in an English/Romanized keyboard.
  • Adding PinYin would be useful in an educational setting someone first learns Mandarin Chinese, creating teaching/studying material, or for lyrics. Note: Google Translate accommodates for the PinYin pronunciation.
  • For example:
  • ma2 or  (rising tone)
  • ma4 or  (falling tone)

Please submit all Chinese related feedback by going to support.swiftkey.com and filling out a bug report or feature request, thanks.

Alpert    354
On 4/11/2015 07:11:56, ufstampa said:
  • For example:
  • ma2 or  (rising tone)
  • ma4 or  (falling tone)

Hey,

well, those are not tones, I can tell you that. Those are caractères spéciaux (just like what I entered here) for other languages in case of SwiftKey not predict them, they just happen to be similar like Chinese Pinyin tones.

Typing Chinese by Pinyin you would not use the tones. If you do, that will make it much more complicated.

A keyboard, daily used, it would be better to keep a simple way, no?

If you really want to learn Chinese, I can help. XD

Best

Alpert

ufstampa    3

Yes I understand the premise of PinYin and not needing specific characters to be recognized to create a Chinese character word. I meant in the example if you were wanting to write out romanization for the instances of academic, explanation, mix language use. Like writing "café" with the french accent aigu. Writing out lyrics for a YouTube. Teaching someone basic level Chinese. I heard there is a PinYin program to generate the PinYin, but how inconvenient to search around for it when a keyboard app can be more tactile to perform a task like that.

However I'm writing something like:

想請你们参加卡拉OK聚会

• What  is 聚会 ?

聚会 = jùhuì, meaning party

• Oh! I gotcha! I know how to say it, I never had to write it before!

In other words, I'm asking to add more caractères spéciaux that are commonly used within Chinese PinYin.
ā ō ē ī ū ǖ, etc... (Accordance to the Chinese PinYin table)

谢谢

On 11/4/2015, 12:02:30, Prad said:

Please submit all Chinese related feedback by going to support.swiftkey.com and filling out a bug report or feature request, thanks.

There's no bug, it's just there is no discussion board for Chinese anymore.

Prad    1,917

As Chinese has been merged into the main product, we removed the discussion area. You can direct all Chinese feedback by going to support.swiftkey.com where it gets funneled to the right teams.