Welcome to SwiftKey Insiders Community

This community has now become "SwiftKey Insiders" - built around SwiftKey users who want to help shape the future of SwiftKey products from the ground up. 

Note: this community is only available for SwiftKey for Android at this time - 

But if you would like to join our iOS or Windows lists to be notified when we launch on these platforms, please let us know.

Sign up here if you're interested in:

• Seeing early designs
  • Playing with prototypes
  • Taking surveys 
  • Giving thoughtful honest feedback

If you are looking for general support, feedback and feature requests, please visit our support site here.

Prad

Top 10 ‘untranslatable’ words that should exist in English

4 posts in this topic

For anyone that understands more than language just a little bit should know that not everything in one language transfers over to another. 

What this means is that saying one thing in a language could mean something completely different or mean nothing at all in another languages.

We've gone ahead and made a list of 10 words from different languages that we think should have an English equivalent. 

1. koselig (Norwegian): a deep sense of warmth, happiness and comfort
  2. abbiocco (Italian): drowsiness from eating a big meal
  3. iktsuarpok (Inuit): the feeling of anticipation that leads you to keep looking outside to see if someone is coming
  4. pochemuchka (Russian): someone who asks too many questions
  5. jayus (Indonesian): a joke told so poorly and that is so unfunny that you still laugh
  6. dépaysement (French): the feeling that comes from being a foreigner in another country
  7. mångata (Swedish): the road-like reflection that the moon creates on water
  8. fremdscham (German): shame felt for actions done by someone else
  9. age-otori (Japanese): to look worse after a haircut

What do you think of these words? Do you have any that you'd like to add?

Read the full post Top 10 ‘untranslatable’ words that should exist in English

Sound off in the comments

Cheers,

Ryan

I love stuff like this. I knew about fremdscham already, because I needed a word to describe why some comedies are unwatchable for me. My wife is pochemuchka, everyone says so, although not in so few words.

I've got another German word for you: Torschlusspanik: the feeling of urgency or panic to accomplish something before some imaginary gate closes and “it’s all too late.” It’s mostly used for those who sense their biological clock is running out and feel the need to settle with a partner or have children immediately.

What a jem, thanks Ryan, sorry for the necromancy. #necroposting

Reviving an old thread, I like it!