Welcome to SwiftKey VIP Community

Welcome to SwiftKey VIP Community. Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple, free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of SwiftKey VIP Community by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members

Ertan

Currency Symbols

Question

I would like to have country specific currency symbol available. Not only $

I read somewhere that someone requested £ symbol to be easily accessible.

What I'm suggesting is when there is a second language active, $ symbol moved to second symbol page of the keyboard and it's place should be filled with currency symbol of that second language activated.

Myself, I greatly use symbols since they're faster than writing the shorts of currency names.

I already filed a feature request, but I believe would be nice to have it here for open discussion. I also think that I explained it better here

-Ertan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 answers to this question

I would like to have country specific currency symbol available. Not only $

I read somewhere that someone requested £ symbol to be easily accessible.

What I'm suggesting is when there is a second language active, $ symbol moved to second symbol page of the keyboard and it's place should be filled with currency symbol of that second language activated.

Myself, I greatly use symbols since they're faster than writing the shorts of currency names.

I already filed a feature request, but I believe would be nice to have it here for open discussion. I also think that I explained it better here

-Ertan

To explain this, the functionality of your currency is not controlled by SwiftKey. It is actually controlled by the language your device is set to run. So, if your device is set to display English (US) it will appear as a $, while if the device language is set as English (UK) it will appear as £.

One quick option is long pressing on the currency symbol ('X') on the actual keyboard. You should see the attached picture.

Hopefully that helps, happy typing!

Mike

post-201488-142460918615_thumb.png

What if I like to use my phone in English and my native language is something else? Reason for me to suggest that actually.

Or, at least leave the last used symbol as default in this case.

The functionality is not controlled by SwiftKey. Look at it as an 'if this then that' command. Where your devices native language reflects the default symbols of your currency.

The quickest way to switch between is the long press as shown above.

Nevertheless, as long as you filed a feature request, the development team is aware of it and you may see changes made in the future.

On 22/02/2015 at 9:42 PM, Subliminal5oh2 said:

The functionality is not controlled by SwiftKey. Look at it as an 'if this then that' command. Where your devices native language reflects the default symbols of your currency.

The quickest way to switch between is the long press as shown above.

Nevertheless, as long as you filed a feature request, the development team is aware of it and you may see changes made in the future.

Yet Skype and. Google keyboard can display the correct $ sign.  

2 hours ago, dalben said:

Yet Skype and. Google keyboard can display the correct $ sign.  

This is not controlled by SwiftKey natively. I would suggest a fresh install if this issue is still occurring but this functionality is controlled by your native language settings on the device in Android Settings. The issue arises as updates roll out or as languages are changed on the device between users, this has never been an issue for me, simply because I factory reset every phone as soon as I purchase it, and setup the phone to my liking. Inferior keyboards need a win sometimes, so I suppose being able to assume $ for default on all devices is better than the most advanced prediction technology there ever has been.

1 hour ago, Subliminal5oh2 said:

This is not controlled by SwiftKey natively. I would suggest a fresh install if this issue is still occurring but this functionality is controlled by your native language settings on the device in Android Settings. The issue arises as updates roll out or as languages are changed on the device between users, this has never been an issue for me, simply because I factory reset every phone as soon as I purchase it, and setup the phone to my liking. Inferior keyboards need a win sometimes, so I suppose being able to assume $ for default on all devices is better than the most advanced prediction technology there ever has been.

Ok, simply put.

My S7 (Note7, S6 and S6) only allows English UK or English US as language options.  It's purely about spelling here, not locale settings.

all the keyboard apps I have tested also have a language/keyboard setting in the keyboard settings.  Swiftkey included.

Samsung native keyboard, Google Keyboard(Gboard), GO Keyboard and Swype use the language and locale settings of the keyboards app settings.  

The £ is not default for any country that writes and spells in correct English

Change the keyboard language setting to UK English and the £ defaults.

Swiftkey uses the OS setting I assume.  No matter where you are if you don't spell in US English you are left with £ as your default.

You can try and muddy the waters by claiming they are inferior or that I don't know how to handle a mobile phone, but simply put, Swiftkey is not handling the language and locale settings correctly.  You don't need to be an advanced prediction technology scientist to see that..

1 minute ago, dalben said:

Ok, simply put.

My S7 (Note7, S6 and S6) only allows English UK or English US as language options.  It's purely about spelling here, not locale settings.

all the keyboard apps I have tested also have a language/keyboard setting in the keyboard settings.  Swiftkey included.

Samsung native keyboard, Google Keyboard(Gboard), GO Keyboard and Swype use the language and locale settings of the keyboards app settings.  

The £ is not default for any country that writes and spells in correct English

Change the keyboard language setting to UK English and the £ defaults.

Swiftkey uses the OS setting I assume.  No matter where you are if you don't spell in US English you are left with £ as your default.

You can try and muddy the waters by claiming they are inferior or that I don't know how to handle a mobile phone, but simply put, Swiftkey is not handling the language and locale settings correctly.  You don't need to be an advanced prediction technology scientist to see that..

Firstly, no one assumed anything, so please don't put words or emotions on to me that you feel. I'm not muddying the waters, I am saying that your language chosen, as well as locale in your Android settings are what controls the specific symbol for monetary usage, rather than the language setting through your keyboard. It is a system that has been in place since the beginning of SwiftKey since it is an independent operation from the Android system. If you use English UK as your language options for Android, it will always default to they symbol for British pounds. It's simple really, even though you might be speaking a different language, more often than not you are still speaking about the same currency. I said that SwiftKey uses the OS setting, in quite a few posts preceding my previous one. Also, I'm not sure what carrier you have, but I have over 30 languages I can select as my location and locale from Android, which would be the case had you performed a factory reset on your device. As it stands, there are 4 selections for most commonly used monetary symbols, all of them are available upon long press, and the default is controlled by what you set your device up to be. Been this way for quite some time. Stating that other keyboards do it, isn't a reason for the pioneer of advanced AI based prediction technology to add a setting. You have to understand that as the most supported and widely used keyboard on the market, there is a direct middle ground to be found.

So as stated above, the best way to go about requesting this feature is to go to http://support.swiftkey.com and fill out a feature request, available from the bottom of the aforementioned link. Otherwise you're simply trying to say that other keyboards are better simply because of the ability to select a language and default to that currency symbol, which doesn't make a better product, especially when you're speaking Spanish to a friend and you're both discussing US currency. You can use 5 languages simultaneously through SwiftKey, and even though I use three, I very rarely need to switch my currency designation, as is the case with MOST of the SwiftKey users. Otherwise its a customize-able time for long press to access the four most commonly used currency symbols.

Disagreements make things interesting, and it is also what pushes developers to make better apps, not comparing them to products that are very rarely supported (Swype) or products that are full force sprinting to keep up with SwiftKey and their 5 year old technology and coding (Gboard). GO Keyboard is simply just adware that wrecks phones batteries along with causing lag on the simplest things like trying to update Twitter. So, even if you don't agree, SwiftKey is the premiere keyboard on the market and its usage numbers don't show anything less, other keyboards, while they may have cool features, rarely hold a candle or keep my interest for longer than a week while I've been using SwiftKey since I started using candybar style smart phones. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, the difference here is, I will never attack you for yours. You're welcome to use whatever product you want, just make sure to go about requesting features the right way rather than comparing them to their competitors. SwiftKey pioneers technology, they're not interested in cloning products that are trying to keep up.

Cheers, and Happy Typing =)

I won't bother quoting because I want to save trees. 

You seem like a smart guy. I don't thinkSwiftkey is an inferior keyboard, I'm not sure why you're putting those words into my mouth.  If I thought that I'd be using them and not caring about this issue.  Swiftkey doesn't handle locale correctly.  That's beyond doubt really. I'll make it simpler.

Swiftkey defaults to. £ key for currency when it shouldn't

All other keyboard apps, including the manufacturers (Samsung) do default to the correct currency default.

this isn't about predictive technology, who's better than who, who is copying who, who is or isn't supported.  Its about setting the correct currency symbol as default on the keyboard.  One of the basics people would expect from a keyboard app.  This isn't a feature request.  

Again, change the locale settings on your device, and it will default to the currency symbol of that location. It allows Android settings to control this feature rather than being a manipulative option. Seems pretty simple really.

On Samsung phones there are 2 options for Language. UK or US.

Locale is set at keyboard level.

Swift key is using the Samsung language setting for Locale, which no one else seems to be doing.

Screenshots of the default samsung settings attached because it's obvious I am having trouble explaining myself. What you are proposing doesn't exist on Samsung devices. 

Screenshot_20170122-004655.png

Screenshot_20170122-004641.png

Select UK, and reinstall SwiftKey, it will be British pounds by default. Select US and reinstall SwiftKey it will be American dollars by default. I'm completely unsure of how I can make this any clearer. If you want the option in SwiftKey, put in a feature request. I know what you're saying. However, this works exactly as intended on my Note 5. The setting you just showed in the screen shots, is EXACTLY the setting I'm talking about. Clearing cache and fresh installs help clear the muck between Android and SwiftKey.

Just as equally I did try all that before with no luck. But for the sake of completeness I just did it again.  

And that didn't work again. Uninstall SwiftKey. Reset phone. Set to US English.  Install SwiftKey.  $ is default. Setup SwiftKey settings so default is English AU. All good. Change Samsung language to English UK.  Pull up keyboard and the £ is default. Check SwiftKey settings and. English Au is the only selected. Check Samsung and Google keyboards,  their default currency work as expected.  

OK,  I tried.  I like SwiftKey so whenever I see a new version of SwiftKey or Android I'll try it again to see if it's resolved. Until then I need to use something else. 

Its been enlightening.  

Interesting. Odd that it works for me and not for you. What version of Android and SwiftKey are you using?