Welcome to SwiftKey Insiders Community

This community has now become "SwiftKey Insiders" - built around SwiftKey users who want to help shape the future of SwiftKey products from the ground up. 

Note: this community is only available for SwiftKey for Android at this time - 

But if you would like to join our iOS or Windows lists to be notified when we launch on these platforms, please let us know.

Sign up here if you're interested in:

• Seeing early designs
  • Playing with prototypes
  • Taking surveys 
  • Giving thoughtful honest feedback

If you are looking for general support, feedback and feature requests, please visit our support site here.

Prad

What are your top 5 favorite Android apps and why?

23 posts in this topic

Hello VIPs,

I think this is always a good question to bring up every once in a while. As the app ecosystem grows and new apps hit the market every day. This list is bound to change maybe from week to week.

What are your top 5 favorite Android apps and why?

I'll go ahead and kick this off.

1. SwiftKey is my favorite and I'm not even saying that because I work here. Whenever I get a new phone I have to download SwiftKey right away. I struggle typing with other keyboards as this is the only one I've used since 2010 or something. Muscle memory and all that.
  2. Instagram - I really enjoy looking at all sorts of cool photos and following brands and such. Simple and beautiful
  3. Google Maps - something I use almost on a regular basis. It's also a beautiful app and works like a charm (most of the time)
  4. Pushbullet - This has become a new favorite of mine. I subscribe to AndroidPolice APK stream and like to jump on that when a new app is released. It's also pretty cool to send things to your phone
  5. MightyText - I've been using this for a few years now. It's not 100% perfect but the fact I am able to SMS all day from my computer without having to pick up my phone is rad

Well, those are mine. What are yours?

Sound off and let's get this discussion going.

Cheers,

Ryan

1 - PocketCasts.  I love listening to Podcasts, and this is the best in the business.  And their devs are funny too.

2 - Google Play Music.  All Access gives me everything I need in a much better interface than I got from Spotify before Play Music launched.

3 - Swiftkey.  No explanation needed :)

4 - ToDoIst.   It's multiplatform, but it's Android app is great to use.  Keeps my work on track, but I can use it for my calendar appointments too.

5 - Inbox.   GMail was great, but Inbox has made my email experience ridiculously better than before.  Everything about the app makes things faster to process email which used to be a real bugbear.

1 - PocketCasts.  I love listening to Podcasts, and this is the best in the business.  And their devs are funny too.

2 - Google Play Music.  All Access gives me everything I need in a much better interface than I got from Spotify before Play Music launched.

3 - Swiftkey.  No explanation needed :smile:

4 - ToDoIst.   It's multiplatform, but it's Android app is great to use.  Keeps my work on track, but I can use it for my calendar appointments too.

5 - Inbox.   GMail was great, but Inbox has made my email experience ridiculously better than before.  Everything about the app makes things faster to process email which used to be a real bugbear.

Dang... I love Google Play Music too. All access early adopter here too! Inbox is sweet too! I can't believe I missed both of those.

I guess my top 5 favorite Android apps would be my most used ones:

1. SwiftKey - no explanation needed

2. Feedly - I've been addicted to RSS feeds since the days of Google Reader and Feedly has been a great replacement.

3. QuickPic - The fastest and great functioning gallery.

4. Google Play Music - Was an early adopter for the subscription for the discount but all the latest stuff like YouTube Music Key and playlists have really made it a great streaming service. And now with up to 50,000 songs of your own it's even better.

5. CarHome Ultra - I drive a lot and this app has been great since I opted out of getting a car with navigation.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy S5.

1. Swype

2. Ai.Type

3. Go Keyboard

4. Google Keyboard

5. Fleksy

Just kidding!

1) SwiftKey. There has yet to be a utility on my phone as important as it.

2) Pixlr, excellent photo editor. Huge considering the platform.

3)Instagram, vaping is a huge hobby of mine and this is the best platform for the vaping community!

4)Spotify, with Spoticast (stand alone app) I can still steam to my Chromecast, and it seems to have more of a my style of music collection than GPM

5) reddit is fun golden platinum - because reddit is amazing.

1. Swype

2. Ai.Type

3. Go Keyboard

4. Google Keyboard

5. Fleksy

Just kidding!

I was about to reply saying how are your top 5 apps all keyboards then I finally saw the just kidding. =D

1) SwiftKey for obvious reasons! It's always the first app that gets installed when I get a new phone and was the main reason for me switching to Android.

2) Google Play Music (All Access) because I'm a music fanatic and I love how it let's me upload my own music if it's not available to stream. Plus the sound quality is amazing.

3) Inbox for Gmail because it has really helped my workflow. And being able to use my email as a reminder system has been a game changer for me.

4) Slack because it's an easy and fun way for group collaboration.

5) Sync for Reddit mainly because it's so well designed and I love Reddit for music discussion.

These are the first 5 apps I installed -

1. SwiftKey of course!

2. GMail.  Gotta keep in touch wherever I am.

3. Google Maps.  It is said guys don't ask for directions,  no need with this app.

4. Evernote.  Keep an eye on what I am supposed to be doing.

5.  Antivirus.  Got Avast at the moment on this S6,  my SGS5 has Bitdefender

There are lots of other Apps but those are my top ones - at the moment.  :-P

These are the first 5 apps I installed -

1. SwiftKey of course!

2. GMail. Gotta keep in touch wherever I am.

3. Google Maps. It is said guys don't ask for directions, no need with this app.

4. Evernote. Keep an eye on what I am supposed to be doing.

5. Antivirus. Got Avast at the moment on this S6, my SGS5 has Bitdefender

There are lots of other Apps but those are my top ones - at the moment. :-P

Oddly enough I haven't used an anti-virus in some time. I really haven't used obscure enough apps or apps downloaded from another source besides the playstore. I also found most anti-virus apps to be quite intrusive and demanding for both performance and battery life.

Nevertheless, this is a great list, Maps definitely makes my top 10!

Oddly enough I haven't used an anti-virus in some time. I really haven't used obscure enough apps or apps downloaded from another source besides the playstore. I also found most anti-virus apps to be quite intrusive and demanding for both performance and battery life.

Nevertheless, this is a great list, Maps definitely makes my top 10!

Same. i was never to keen on anti-virus apps myself. Never felt like I needed it but I also consider myself to be tech savvy so maybe it's just me.

I also found most anti-virus apps to be quite intrusive and demanding for both performance and battery life.

Never felt like I needed it but I also consider myself to be tech savvy so maybe it's just me.

I am reasonably switched on with tech and am always careful with downloads and links etc.  But,  I would rather give up a bit of performance and battery life (I am not a power user so I have no problems lasting at least a day) for that extra bit of insurance.

Swiftkey for Afrikaans support

Printhand for supporting older printers 

Business Calendar 

Planmaker for closest to MS excel

Maildroid for permanent bcc option and keeping copy on server in IMAP

Dropbox for sharing files to clients 

Papyrus (replaces S Note on AOSP ROMs)

Google Photos (the new one is very good)

Ad Away (Best ad blocker)

Evolve SMS (until Hangouts 4.0 is released, I am using this one)

Swiftkey of course

** This list changes frequently but these are the ones that I'm using daily

Papyrus (replaces S Note on AOSP ROMs)

Google Photos (the new one is very good)

Ad Away (Best ad blocker)

Evolve SMS (until Hangouts 4.0 is released, I am using this one)

Swiftkey of course

** This list changes frequently but these are the ones that I'm using daily

Are these in any particular order? SwiftKey should be number 1. =D (kidding). Google Photos is killer! Looking forward to seeing where that goes.

Are these in any particular order? SwiftKey should be number 1. =D (kidding). Google Photos is killer! Looking forward to seeing where that goes.

LOL I was going off my homescreen and forgot about Swiftkey.

LOL I was going off my homescreen and forgot about Swiftkey.

Just teasing ya! 

Top 5 wouldn't be enough but here we go:

1. SwiftKey best keyboard ever out all that have attempted in winning me over, SwiftKey drags me right back.

2. Drupe- best contact/dialer app I have used gives me S6 Edge functionality plus more on a regular S6

3. Flynx- Quick access to links without having to leave app and then returning to it.

4. Pushbullet- Definitely would be number 1 1/2 but we all know that's not possible. Gives me the ability to forget that I have a cable for my phone and the added ability of viewing notifications on my PC and replying to messages is just an added bonus

5. (Two 4 One) Swipe Home Button and SpeakerPhoneEx- just amazing been able to swipe out of an app instead of pressing a button and being able to get on speaker phone without even touching the screen. 

Why didn't I use Android from the very beginning???????

I love swiftkey damn I've even got the t shirt ha ha but it doesn't like my moto so I may just give the phone a little slap and see if that sorts it out.

Dunno about the Google photo thing not had the privilege to try that out yet.

Already using hangouts 4.0 and that very quickly replaced evolve sms I was using simply as I can have my online contacts merged with my sms ones.

Talon plus is my go to app for Twitter as it sports a lovely material design and is fast smooth and has an awesome dev

Carbon android is my second go to app for tweeting.

Can't be without Google music either that's my top choice

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

It's hard to choose just 5 hmm... mine would be:

1) SwiftKey: One of the first (if not the very first) things I install on my phone. I feel so awkward with the stock keyboard, regardless of which brand it is. The Xperia one is nice but not enough to win me over lol.

2) Nova Prime: I don't always install this right away, I usually keep the stock launcher for a while, but once I get bored here comes Nova so I can customize it and revitalize the phone's appearance. I love the gestures too, mostly to bring down the notifications bar.

3) Telegram: My best friends lives in Chicago (I live in Costa Rica), and we used to use Hangouts as our main way to communicate, but ever since their 4.0 update they removed the time stamps, and that was important to us so we were looking for alternatives and when we tried Telegram we loved it. In my opinion it's better than Whatsapp.

4) Waze: This app has helped me get to some completely unknown places lol. I like the simple interface and the guidance it gives you. I'm not saying it's better than some other apps, just that this is the one I've used since the beginning.

5) Spotify: I can say if I think it's better than other apps either, but I've never felt the need to try other apps for streaming music, I really like its interface and how easy it is to find a new song and just added to your playlists. I have the premium version so I can use the offline feature to listen to my music even if I'm at a place where my internet is not so good.

It's hard to choose just 5 hmm... mine would be:

1) SwiftKey: One of the first (if not the very first) things I install on my phone. I feel so awkward with the stock keyboard, regardless of which brand it is. The Xperia one is nice but not enough to win me over lol.

2) Nova Prime: I don't always install this right away, I usually keep the stock launcher for a while, but once I get bored here comes Nova so I can customize it and revitalize the phone's appearance. I love the gestures too, mostly to bring down the notifications bar.

3) Telegram: My best friends lives in Chicago (I live in Costa Rica), and we used to use Hangouts as our main way to communicate, but ever since their 4.0 update they removed the time stamps, and that was important to us so we were looking for alternatives and when we tried Telegram we loved it. In my opinion it's better than Whatsapp.

4) Waze: This app has helped me get to some completely unknown places lol. I like the simple interface and the guidance it gives you. I'm not saying it's better than some other apps, just that this is the one I've used since the beginning.

5) Spotify: I can say if I think it's better than other apps either, but I've never felt the need to try other apps for streaming music, I really like its interface and how easy it is to find a new song and just added to your playlists. I have the premium version so I can use the offline feature to listen to my music even if I'm at a place where my internet is not so good.

Wow your list could easily be mine. I use four out of five. Don't use telegram.......yet.

Weird you don't have timestamps in Hangouts. I have them still.

Waze is absolutely great. Used it on vacation and it was 100% accurate even when reporting the po po and vehicles on the side of the road

Sent from my K011 using Tapatalk

Omlet Chat.

When I was working in Alaska, I had NO service and very limited internet and it worked well. And they have a great philosophy that all your data is your own. They don't save anything and if you want anything saved, you have to connect a cloud service to it.

Smart Launcher 3 pro:

Just started using other launchers and fell in love with it.

Piktures:

Because Google Photos is terrible.

Poweramp:

Way better than Google Play Music.

My Old Boy:

Because I like to play old Gameboy games every now and again but I've noticed that this one won't read a few of the ROMs.