Welcome to SwiftKey VIP Community

Welcome to SwiftKey VIP Community. Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple, free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of SwiftKey VIP Community by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members

rcbjr2

Secondary characters randomly get inserted [bug reported]

27 posts in this topic

This behavior has been occurring for a long, long time, and not just with this beta. If I type quickly, which I tend to do, Swiftkey sometimes lags behind and then acts as if I've long-pressed a key. I often get words with symbols or numbers in them that would only appear if I long-pressed a key. However, I haven't long-pressed anything! It wouldn't be that big a problem if Swiftkey could then suggest the correct spelling of the word, but it doesn't. Instead, it shows the word with the symbol or number in it as the main prediction. I reported a bug years ago about this, and as far as I can tell, it's never been fixed (i.e., Swiftkey not being able to suggest the correct spelling of a word when I accidentally type a word with a number or symbol in it; Swiftkey should ignore the number/symbol and suggest the correct spelling).

17 hours ago, rcbjr2 said:

This behavior has been occurring for a long, long time, and not just with this beta. If I type quickly, which I tend to do, Swiftkey sometimes lags behind and then acts as if I've long-pressed a key. I often get words with symbols or numbers in them that would only appear if I long-pressed a key. However, I haven't long-pressed anything! It wouldn't be that big a problem if Swiftkey could then suggest the correct spelling of the word, but it doesn't. Instead, it shows the word with the symbol or number in it as the main prediction. I reported a bug years ago about this, and as far as I can tell, it's never been fixed (i.e., Swiftkey not being able to suggest the correct spelling of a word when I accidentally type a word with a number or symbol in it; Swiftkey should ignore the number/symbol and suggest the correct spelling).

Hello,

I believe this is because the lag issue that you were talking about. What kind of phone you are using? I am thinking about it's because SK runs slowly on lower end Android phones.

No keyboard could work like predicting regardless of the numbers. The reason is, if people want to type something like "intel i7", keyboard can't just ignore the numbers and to predict something that people actually don't want.

Alpert

1 hour ago, Alpert said:

Hello,

I believe this is because the lag issue that you were talking about. What kind of phone you are using? I am thinking about it's because SK runs slowly on lower end Android phones.

No keyboard could work like predicting regardless of the numbers. The reason is, if people want to type something like "intel i7", keyboard can't just ignore the numbers and to predict something that people actually don't want.

Alpert

I am using a Nexus 6P. It's definitely not a lower end Android phone. This occurred on my former Galaxy S4 as well. Also not a low-end Android phone.

Years ago, I reported the "bug" about the numbers and Swiftkey indicated they were working on it. I even exchanged emails with someone from Swiftkey. It's been so long that I can't remember. If because of the lag something like "tomo4row" appears, Swiftkey ought to be smart enough to at least offer "tomorrow" as a suggestion. Instead, in both the left and center slots, it shows "tomo4row". When I intend to type something with a number in it, then Swiftkey usually suggests the correct option. It's only when I'm typing away and a number or symbol accidentally appears that Swiftkey can't seem to get it right.

If/when this happens again, I will post the actually incorrect word. I made up the "tomorrow" example.

21 minutes ago, rcbjr2 said:

I am using a Nexus 6P. It's definitely not a lower end Android phone. This occurred on my former Galaxy S4 as well. Also not a low-end Android phone.

Years ago, I reported the "bug" about the numbers and Swiftkey indicated they were working on it. I even exchanged emails with someone from Swiftkey. It's been so long that I can't remember. If because of the lag something like "tomo4row" appears, Swiftkey ought to be smart enough to at least offer "tomorrow" as a suggestion. Instead, in both the left and center slots, it shows "tomo4row". When I intend to type something with a number in it, then Swiftkey usually suggests the correct option. It's only when I'm typing away and a number or symbol accidentally appears that Swiftkey can't seem to get it right.

If/when this happens again, I will post the actually incorrect word. I made up the "tomorrow" example.

This kind of lag is absolutely not normal at present. The Team works hard on lag issues and it seems to be solved in early this year. 

Are you using the latest version? 

Also, the "smart" thing that you talk about, things don't work like that way. And if you type fast, I believe the prediction bar will help you. 

1 hour ago, Alpert said:

This kind of lag is absolutely not normal at present. The Team works hard on lag issues and it seems to be solved in early this year. 

Also, the "smart" thing that you talk about, things don't work like that way. And if you type fast, I believe the prediction bar will help you. 

I always use the latest beta version. It automatically updates. The prediction bar doesn't help much if the prediction also has a number or symbol in the word predicted. I appreciate your suggestions and I don't really want to argue about it. I've expressed my opinion that it doesn't work the way I think it should and I've reported the problems with inadvertent symbols and numbers. Swiftkey can decide whether or not it needs or wants to do something about it. From my perspective, it is a real PITA because I have to back up and get rid of the incorrect prediction when it gets inserted when I press the spacebar. I keep trying other keyboards, but keep coming back to Swiftkey. I just wish this long-standing issue could be resolved. Anyway, no need to respond. I've given all the info I have on this. Thanks.

7 hours ago, rcbjr2 said:

I always use the latest beta version. It automatically updates. The prediction bar doesn't help much if the prediction also has a number or symbol in the word predicted. I appreciate your suggestions and I don't really want to argue about it. I've expressed my opinion that it doesn't work the way I think it should and I've reported the problems with inadvertent symbols and numbers. Swiftkey can decide whether or not it needs or wants to do something about it. From my perspective, it is a real PITA because I have to back up and get rid of the incorrect prediction when it gets inserted when I press the spacebar. I keep trying other keyboards, but keep coming back to Swiftkey. I just wish this long-standing issue could be resolved. Anyway, no need to respond. I've given all the info I have on this. Thanks.

I'm sorry about this. But seems not much people got this issue so it won't get much attention.

I can't say much about the lag, but I believe that SwiftKey doesn't try to autocorrect words with numbers in them, but places them at the side in order to make typing URL easier. 

The picture below is an example. The moment there is a number in the word, SwiftKey doesn't autocorrect it, even though it is able to come up with good predictions. 

Screenshot_2016-03-31-11-26-07-1.png

11 hours ago, Jiraffe7 said:

I can't say much about the lag, but I believe that SwiftKey doesn't try to autocorrect words with numbers in them, but places them at the side in order to make typing URL easier. 

The picture below is an example. The moment there is a number in the word, SwiftKey doesn't autocorrect it, even though it is able to come up with good predictions. 

Screenshot_2016-03-31-11-26-07-1.png

This is another situation, it's between 2 words. And even Google Keyboard can do that.

I have a 6P as well and I only noticed this issue happening back in January. I did factory wipe my phone and it made a bit of a difference and started happening less often but it still does.

Now I'm running the Android N Preview, so my phone is generally slow most of the time anyway. What is your longpress sensitivity set to?

21 minutes ago, rcbjr2 said: I am using a Nexus 6P. It's definitely not a lower end Android phone. This occurred on my former Galaxy S4 as well. Also not a low-end Android phone.

I have been plagued by this for the past month... The (eyboard inserts the special character (see "keyboard" - that was automatically entered). I also get suggestions to forget a suggested word if I tap a prediction. It's like the long-press delay is being randomly ignored. Very annoying. I have considered leaving beta and going to the production version when I've been frustrated...

This needs serious attention.

\eyeks

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Eh, it's definitely a "thing". Often when I type, the cursor jumps all the way to the beginning or the middle of the message and it's a pain to delete it. Also, often words get "doubled", i.e inserted twice,  when I try to erase one part, it erases the whole thing. When you try to write a longer message, often it's almost to the point it's unusable. Nexus 6P, N Preview 2. But also happening on my Nexus 7, stock MM, and Nexus 9, stock N Preview 2.0. 

2 hours ago, Pennant said:

Eh, it's definitely a "thing". Often when I type, the cursor jumps all the way to the beginning or the middle of the message and it's a pain to delete it. Also, often words get "doubled", i.e inserted twice,  when I try to erase one part, it erases the whole thing. When you try to write a longer message, often it's almost to the point it's unusable. Nexus 6P, N Preview 2. But also happening on my Nexus 7, stock MM, and Nexus 9, stock N Preview 2.0. 

I'll bring this back to the devs attention. @Pennant if you are having issues with some jumpy cursor/ doublewords, please create a new thread. Let's keep things on a single topic for easy reading and debugging.

Thanks.

Ryan

To add to the nature of the symptoms - its like randomly the secondary character display delay is being ignored and the first tap is recognized as a tap with delay. For example, I have Emoji keyboard as a secondary key, randomly, when I hit newline, I am presented with the emoji keyboard.

Hope this helps.

9 hours ago, eyeks said:

To add to the nature of the symptoms - its like randomly the secondary character display delay is being ignored and the first tap is recognized as a tap with delay. For example, I have Emoji keyboard as a secondary key, randomly, when I hit newline, I am presented with the emoji keyboard.

Hope this helps.

How long is your long-press duration?

The default is 450ms - I typically reduce it to 250ms, but since this problem started I've been increasing it back up to the default. That has not helped. This is extremely annoying, esp if an urgent message has to be sent.

Thinking about the replacing beta with production version until this is diagnosed and fixed.

I normally had mine set to 170/180 and had to move mine up. Not sure if the market version will be any better honestly. I'm wondering if it's some defecting screen hardware because honestly, I've only seen like 4 people report this, including myself. 

I switched to Google Keyboard and I'm going nuts... not sure which is worse... unlearn Swiftkey or deal with spurious characters... We gotta fix this! HELP!!! I want my Swiftkey back!!!

On 5/11/2016 at 4:01 PM, eyeks said:

I switched to Google Keyboard and I'm going nuts... not sure which is worse... unlearn Swiftkey or deal with spurious characters... We gotta fix this! HELP!!! I want my Swiftkey back!!!

Does this happen with beta and market? Is one worse than the other?

When I'm typing and the app predicts a word for me, 50% of the time when I press on a prediction, instead of inserting the prediction, it'll pop-up a message asking if I want to remove it. Sometimes pressing the back key then pressing the prediction will work but a few times, it'll keep popping up with the same message, asking if I want to remove the prediction.

2 hours ago, Sickmetal said:

When I'm typing and the app predicts a word for me, 50% of the time when I press on a prediction, instead of inserting the prediction, it'll pop-up a message asking if I want to remove it. Sometimes pressing the back key then pressing the prediction will work but a few times, it'll keep popping up with the same message, asking if I want to remove the prediction.

Hello,

I believe it's because the long-press duration was set too short.

Try to make it to 280ms even longer to see if the problem still there.

Keep us updated, thanks.

Alpert

This used to happen to me a while back and sometimes does. It could be related to some overall device lag. The screen thing you have longpressed on it, when in reality you did not.

I would also try a fresh install - that might help.

[Nexus 6P running Android N, SwiftKey beta]

I have a short duration set for my long-hold actions (to type punctuation etc.). Frequently, the phone slows down due to background processes, and even when I quickly tap on a key, it triggers the long-hold action, because the key-down event was received by SwiftKey, then the SwiftKey process gets preempted while some background processing takes place, then when SwiftKey gets control back again, more time than the long-press duration has passed. This means that typing can be filled with lots of inadvertent punctuation characters where I typed letters, which requires lots of extra editing to go back and fix these problems. It's really annoying, and when the phone is heavily CPU-bound, it can be almost impossible to type a single word correctly.

The problem is that SwiftKey is looking at the current system clock when the KeyListener receives a KeyEvent. What StwiftKey should be doing is calling KeyEvent#getEventTime() to get the time that the key was pressed, regardless of when it was actually received. Then the key up timestamp can be compared with the key down timestamp to measure the duration of the press more accurately. This should solve the problem.

Hello all,

We're looking into this again. I had this issue real bad back in December and beginning of the year. I wasn't sure if it was the Nexus device or what because I wasn't seeing many other reports of it. It has gotten loads better but still happens from time to time.

As our devs gear up to look into this, do we mind getting a data refresh. I've merged three different threads that were all the same.

1) What is your current device and OS (you can also update this in your profile)

2) Please make sure you are running the latest SK beta version 6.4.1

3) Does it still happen to you?

4) Often?

5) Do you notice any patterns?

6) Share any additional information you think may help

Thanks everyone while we try to get this sorted out.

I'm having this issue and have had it for a while. Can you please help? I really don't want to use another keyboard.

1) Nexus 6P Android 7.0
2) 6.4.2.64
3) Yes

4) nearly every day

5) no

6) It happens even when there aren't any apps running. I press a button and it gets "held" down so it does the secondary character. When it's really bad it can happen every word. But typically it's every few words. It's been happening to me for months.

Edit - I wanted to add that sometimes (just experienced it now) I press a bunch of letters but it's still hanging on the first letter. I stop, and then about 5 seconds later all the letters come up.

I've been having these issues, also for a long time. I've spent a few days reading these posts and Swiftkey's response to them is "it's not a Swiftkey" issue.

Sent from my HP 10 G2 Tablet using Tapatalk