Welcome to SwiftKey VIP Community

Welcome to SwiftKey VIP Community. Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple, free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of SwiftKey VIP Community by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members

ironblood

[FR] Spacebar to move cursor

55 posts in this topic

Just add a button to change language as Google keyboard. Make the space bar available to move cursor. Or add two finger to move the cursor?

Skickat från min Nexus 6P via Tapatalk

On 11/23/2016 at 3:00 PM, 2l8 said:

Just add a button to change language as Google keyboard. Make the space bar available to move cursor. Or add two finger to move the cursor?

agreed, plenty of different ways to implement this, major missing feature from swiftkey. Prediction is awesome but only so good everyone still make mistakes, need an easy way to navigate to those typos. the arrows are just unrealistic waste of screen real estate.

How about swiping across the suggestions bar to move cursor?

I used SK for well over a year and recently switched to the Google Keyboard because of this feature.

Please implement this functionality in some way.

+1 I think (speaking for IOS) instead of changing languages through the space bar, maybe have it be used through the globe key next to the space, and then implement the cursor space bar. Or even better, in my opinion, if there was a way to implement force touch on the keyboard like the original apple keyboard. I find that very useful and would be a major bonus to have on SK!

@prad what about moving language into the hamburger menu... To change you swipe the menu open and there is a dial for switching, after selection the many instantly closes.... Just an idea

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, ironblood said:

@prad what about moving language into the hamburger menu... To change you swipe the menu open and there is a dial for switching, after selection the many instantly closes.... Just an idea

No idea is a bad idea, but one of our CORE features is the easiest way to type in multiple languages. Moving this to the setting area then makes this bit cumbersome. 

As someone who doesn't use that feature at all, I would rather have something useful to me on the spacebar. But since this feature has been there years, it would be a big shock to just move it on people who use it a lot.

3 hours ago, ironblood said: @prad what about moving language into the hamburger menu... To change you swipe the menu open and there is a dial for switching, after selection the many instantly closes.... Just an idea

No idea is a bad idea, but one of our CORE features is the easiest way to type in multiple languages. Moving this to the setting area then makes this bit cumbersome. 

As someone who doesn't use that feature at all, I would rather have something useful to me on the spacebar. But since this feature has been there years, it would be a big shock to just move it on people who use it a lot.

I completely understand which is why if the space bar to scroll is implemented I would hope that the option to allow users to choose the method that fits them best is kept within the application

Not sure if I asked this yet, but can you guys think of some use cases where being able to move the cursor would be useful?

I opened SwiftKey and tried thinking of use cases and I could not think of any that would make sense to me. 

I understand it's about editing a previously written word, right? This makes me think of two things:

1) Maybe SwiftKey should be better and that previous word should have been right in the first place?

2) The way editing a word works with SwiftKey: when you tap on a word, the cursor snaps to the end of the word, letting you change the word to a few different choices. Once you tap the word again, then the cursor moves to exactly where you selected. But then editing the word leaves "hanging letters" 

Am I missing another use case here?

This is best used when you swype fast, at that time generally you do good watch the words, but once the sentence is completed, you realised a word in the middle of the sentence is misspelled, and need to correct it, this happens very very often. At this time this feature is very useful.

In a way two horizontal arrows are also redundant as per your logic, but still that are there and are useful, except they take up a small screen space.

Sent from my LG-H818 using Tapatalk

18 hours ago, paras said:

This is best used when you swype fast, at that time generally you do good watch the words, but once the sentence is completed, you realised a word in the middle of the sentence is misspelled, and need to correct it, this happens very very often. At this time this feature is very useful.

In a way two horizontal arrows are also redundant as per your logic, but still that are there and are useful, except they take up a small screen space.

So yea, it's generally about just fixing a wrongly spelled word. Maybe we should just get better at that =]

Yes I agree, if SwiftKey takes care of human error, nothing more needed, but in swype department swift key has to travel many many miles, in normal typing, it is almost perfect.

Cool, thanks for the feedback everyone. This is helpful. 

A great +1 to this topic. 

I used SwiftKey for at least 3 years, i type in 4 languages and I have never felt the need of switching layout since when you select your languages of preference all the accented characters are available in second function and i never needed them that much except for Swedish.

I recently tried the G board (has been 4 days i think) and i love the backspace and space bar functions, but i have some typing issues with it and the functions flow and text prediction are not as good as on SwiftKey. I would be very happy to see this functions on my favourite keyboard.

Have to agree with most of the group. I've been using SwiftKey for years but have found myself switching to GBoard more and more often to use the backspace and spacebar gestures.

Also wouldn't mind a GBoard-like implementation when holding the spacebar changes languages but sliding across it scrolls the cursor.

BTW, despite switching back and forth between keyboards, I still can't believe just how much better SwiftKey is at correction and prediction than any other keyboard I've used.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I didn't know you could longpress on the space bar for gboard to switch languages.

This still would required am adjustment for our current multi lingual users who are used to just swiping versus pressing and then swiping, but this is not a bad idea.

Again, I raise the question, where being able to move the cursor, is it really that important? How often do you find yourself using it on Gboard? If a lot, is that because they auto corrected the wrong word? If so, to me that sounds like a problem with their prediction quality, where this feature is making it easier for you to fix their mistakes.

23 minutes ago, Prad said:

I didn't know you could longpress on the space bar for gboard to switch languages.

This still would required am adjustment for our current multi lingual users who are used to just swiping versus pressing and then swiping, but this is not a bad idea.

Again, I raise the question, where being able to move the cursor, is it really that important? How often do you find yourself using it on Gboard? If a lot, is that because they auto corrected the wrong word? If so, to me that sounds like a problem with their prediction quality, where this feature is making it easier for you to fix their mistakes.

I find myself using it a variety of situations.  Few examples off the top of my head. 

For additions, adding full sentences or words in the middle of an email/text/post etc.

When you want to change the way you said something/rearrange a some words in the middle of a sentence.

In any field that does not allow auto correct. 

Agreed. I'd say it sometimes is a bad prediction but there are times where you're just revising something you've written.

@wowthatisrandom's examples are all really good and non-trivial when you think about them. You can do some of this through tapping on a word to get to roughly where you need to be but the precision is quite limited.

I find one of the most frustrating things to be when you tap in the middle of a word and you miss it by a letter. Then you're stuck contorting your hand to see where you are in the word and trying to move by a single letter.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I would agree to gboard way of switching language just press the space bar and option will be there, If you wish to bind users to Sk only, just pop up languages offered by swift key. I think that is a better way rather than using two languages at a time as I think getting rid of lag is proving very difficult.

As regarding space bar movement, one of the use is inserting emoji, coma, proper nouns, or any word as an after thought.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. A good way I like to think about a new feature request is, "What is the problem/issue" without thinking of the solution first. But fully understanding the pain points and seeing what the best possible solution is.

All of this info is being noted, so I can share it with the right people.

Best,

Ryan

Don't understand why you need to be so stubborn on the spacebar to change language :) add a option to use it or not. Add move cursor to the option for spacebar. As someone wrote I am using multiple languages and have never used the option to change language. Stupid option to have on the spacebar.

2 hours ago, 2l8 said:

Don't understand why you need to be so stubborn on the spacebar to change language :) add a option to use it or not. Add move cursor to the option for spacebar. As someone wrote I am using multiple languages and have never used the option to change language. Stupid option to have on the spacebar.

While this may not be a usable functionality for you, it is for quite a few thousand users that switch from English to Cyrillic to Chinese and back to English. The spacebar is just simply the best location for it to make it an easy transition for those who need it it to be quickly accessed or changed. Move cursor options can be done with the arrow keys. It's not stubborn, it's creating a functionally sound keyboard for millions of users, and while you may think it's "stupid" there are hundreds of users, including myself, who find it to be convenient and very quick to change languages.

is swiping along the suggestions bar for cursor control a possibility? It shouldnt get in the way of the menu as most people wouldnt start that far to the left and allows the spacebar functionality to be left untouched. seems like a way to make everyone happy.

I'm curious as to why the arrow keys aren't an adequate option for those who want touch cursor control. Long pressing on the screen is often times accurate enough for myself personally, the arrow keys I use to navigate emails for work, I'm really just trying to get a feel as for why some feel another form of cursor control is needed.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Subliminal5oh2 said:

I'm curious as to why the arrow keys aren't an adequate option for those who want touch cursor control. Long pressing on the screen is often times accurate enough for myself personally, the arrow keys I use to navigate emails for work, I'm really just trying to get a feel as for why some feel another form of cursor control is needed.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Theres a few of reasons i don't use arrows:

1. it takes up a bunch of screen real estate to have an extra row of keys

2. its below the space bar which causes more typos than not having them. - maybe this is just a side effect of giving up on them after getting to frustrated when attempting to use them, but i then refer back to point 1, screen space is gold.

• How would you feel about a row of languages below the keyboard in place of the arrows? Obviously im not suggesting this, just pointing out that it would be equally as annoying if you were to accidentally switch langs instead of hitting the space bar as it is to move the cursor using the arrows.

3. its far more time consuming to locate which arrow you want, tap repeatedly/hold etc than it is to slide your finger along with the cursor.

I also challenge a few of you who havent used the spacebar cursor control to try it out. Google Keyboard does a fantastic job of implementing both cursor control and deelte swipe actions. I think you will be surprised how handy it can be in your daily typing.