Welcome to SwiftKey VIP Community

Welcome to SwiftKey VIP Community. Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple, free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of SwiftKey VIP Community by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members

ironblood

[FR] Spacebar to move cursor

55 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Subliminal5oh2 said: I'm curious as to why the arrow keys aren't an adequate option for those who want touch cursor control. Long pressing on the screen is often times accurate enough for myself personally, the arrow keys I use to navigate emails for work, I'm really just trying to get a feel as for why some feel another form of cursor control is needed.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Theres a few of reasons i don't use arrows:

1. it takes up a bunch of screen real estate to have an extra row of keys

2. its below the space bar which causes more typos than not having them. - maybe this is just a side effect of giving up on them after getting to frustrated when attempting to use them, but i then refer back to point 1, screen space is gold.

• How would you feel about a row of languages below the keyboard in place of the arrows? Obviously im not suggesting this, just pointing out that it would be equally as annoying if you were to accidentally switch langs instead of hitting the space bar as it is to move the cursor using the arrows.
3. its far more time consuming to locate which arrow you want, tap repeatedly/hold etc than it is to slide your finger along with the cursor.

I also challenge a few of you who havent used the spacebar cursor control to try it out. Google Keyboard does a fantastic job of implementing both cursor control and deelte swipe actions. I think you will be surprised how handy it can be in your daily typing. 

I appreciate the response. It is both well thought out and substantially eye opening. I have a Samsung Note 5, when using the middle layout size I rarely have an issue using the right and left key as I know they are on the bottom right. I find myself using it quite often and have acclimated myself to it quite well given over 6 years of SwiftKey use.

However, that as I know is just me. Everyone uses their keyboard differently so I understand and see your concerns. As I normally type in English, I don't usually have to switch languages, and wouldn't use the extra bar as I have arrow keys, a number row, and it takes up about a third of my screen. Normally when typing I'm not attempting to read the entire page, but again, that is subjective.

Your best bet to have this implemented would be to put in a feature request at http://support.swiftkey.com, however I can't speak on whether it will ever change or not.

To speak on your suggestion to try Google keyboard, I have, as well as quite a few others. I always revert to SwiftKey. I love the gestures allowed with flow disabled and the prediction tech is absolutely unmatched. I've also spent 6 years customizing the speech of my account and for the most part I type half sentences and allow the predictions to fill the rest. Nevertheless if you find something that works, go for it.

12 hours ago, Subliminal5oh2 said:

I appreciate the response. It is both well thought out and substantially eye opening. I have a Samsung Note 5, when using the middle layout size I rarely have an issue using the right and left key as I know they are on the bottom right. I find myself using it quite often and have acclimated myself to it quite well given over 6 years of SwiftKey use.

However, that as I know is just me. Everyone uses their keyboard differently so I understand and see your concerns. As I normally type in English, I don't usually have to switch languages, and wouldn't use the extra bar as I have arrow keys, a number row, and it takes up about a third of my screen. Normally when typing I'm not attempting to read the entire page, but again, that is subjective.

Your best bet to have this implemented would be to put in a feature request at http://support.swiftkey.com, however I can't speak on whether it will ever change or not.

To speak on your suggestion to try Google keyboard, I have, as well as quite a few others. I always revert to SwiftKey. I love the gestures allowed with flow disabled and the prediction tech is absolutely unmatched. I've also spent 6 years customizing the speech of my account and for the most part I type half sentences and allow the predictions to fill the rest. Nevertheless if you find something that works, go for it.

Like you I have been using SK since day one, and have trained it similar to you, single words lead to full sentences. I also keep switching to google bc i love their gestures but always come back to swiftkey because of the prediction. Thats why im trying so hard to find a way to have the best of both worlds. SK prediction with a cursor control that is both easy to maneuver without taking up screen realestate or completely retraining myself on where the spacebar is.

I made the suggestion a while ago, was just hoping to explain my reasoning.

Appreciate your insights. 

Great convo here guys. 

While I know other apps are doing this, I personally, don't find myself going back mid sentence and having to change/edit a word. I tend to fix it on the fly or I click on the word and the cursor moves right to the end of the word (which I think is faster then swiping my finger to move the cursor back) especially if the word is really far back.

I DO see how a quick swipe gesture to move the cursor back a few words could be helpful. I should try and use the Google keyboard a bit to see what it feels like. But I would end up with so many errors using the Gboard because I'm just so used to how SwiftKey works, I'd end up having to edit everything (which is counter productive to me). 

These are just my personal opinions and not reflective of how SwiftKey thinks about this feature. 

13 minutes ago, Prad said:

Great convo here guys. 

While I know other apps are doing this, I personally, don't find myself going back mid sentence and having to change/edit a word. I tend to fix it on the fly or I click on the word and the cursor moves right to the end of the word (which I think is faster then swiping my finger to move the cursor back) especially if the word is really far back.

I DO see how a quick swipe gesture to move the cursor back a few words could be helpful. I should try and use the Google keyboard a bit to see what it feels like. But I would end up with so many errors using the Gboard because I'm just so used to how SwiftKey works, I'd end up having to edit everything (which is counter productive to me). 

These are just my personal opinions and not reflective of how SwiftKey thinks about this feature. 

luckily youll have cursor control to fix your errors ;-D

+1 Would really love this feature as well.

I have just tested several other keyboards currently on the market (GBoard, Chrooma, Fleksy, TouchPal and Minuum) and one of them (cant remember which one exactly) has implemented both changing the language and moving cursor with space bar.

Basically the way they did it is if you simply swipe left or right it changes languages and if you hold space and then move left or right it moves the cursor. 

I am sure something like that would be easy to add, it also wouldnt affect existing functionality and would add a ton of convenience to an already great app.

I mean the fact that I decided to stay with SwiftKey after testing does say something :) 

Other than this cursor movement on spacebar I think SwiftKey is perfect.

Please add this feature to move cursor using spacebar!