Welcome to SwiftKey VIP Community

Welcome to SwiftKey VIP Community. Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple, free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of SwiftKey VIP Community by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members

Jshwam

[FR] Turn off all gestures

Question

How the heck do you turn both of these settings off? I hate flow so that immediately is gone. So it gives me an option to choose between gestures or flow writing. Both of which I don't want or use. I put it on gestures as its the lesser of two evils. Problem I find though, when trying to use the swipe ? or ! or , I am actually closing the keyboard  because I'm apparently swiping downwards just a little to much. Please help! 

54 answers to this question

I thought it was just me that had problems with these options, I hate them, I'm even thinking about changing the keyboard for that, I do not understand why they force the user to use one or the other, surely there are many people that need to disable both options, I I find them hateful, why not fan option to disable the options we discussed? Please listen to the user, I have years ago that I have the application, I paid on its principle what it was worth and it was not cheap, at least listen to user requests please.

Hello, 

You can not turn both things off. Because this is what makes SwiftKey awesome. 

As for the punctuation slider, I don't understand how a horizontal swipe could be registered as a vertical swipe on your phone. I cannot reproduce the issue that you described. Maybe a short screen record video would be helpful. 

Looking forward to your reply.

Alpert. 

Well maybe I have larger hands because when I come to use the swipe feature to access the ? Etc i must be doing a long enough downward swipe to pull down the keyboard. Initially I asked again how you turned it off, I am now editing it because I misread what you said. I Thought you said there was a way to turn it off. I'm confused why SwiftKey wouldn't have an option to turn either off. The gesture imo is useless. Why would I swipe down (when it often doesn't work, Instead typing letters or something)  when I can just hit the back key? Or tap outside the keyboard.

Screenshot_20160504-130856.png

Screenshot_20160504-130848.png

Here is a video of what is happening. 

58 minutes ago, Jshwam said:

Well maybe I have larger hands because when I come to use the swipe feature to access the ? Etc i must be doing a long enough downward swipe to pull down the keyboard. Initially I asked again how you turned it off, I am now editing it because I misread what you said. I Thought you said there was a way to turn it off. I'm confused why SwiftKey wouldn't have an option to turn either off. The gesture imo is useless. Why would I swipe down (when it often doesn't work, Instead typing letters or something)  when I can just hit the back key? Or tap outside the keyboard.

I think you got wrong, or I. 

Your first post said: "when trying to use the swipe ? or ! or , I am actually closing the keyboard ".  Swipe for punctuation is horizontal swipe, close the keyboard is vertical swipe, that's why I asked the question in my previous post. And that's why I asked for a screen record video, for analyzing if it's SwiftKey or your screen registered your touches wrongly. 

And as if you can hit the back key or tap outside of the keyboard to close it, then you don't have to trigger the down swipe at all. You've already found the solution to the problem. We provide the features, it does not mean users have to use it one by one. It also means maybe a group of users don't think this feature is useful, meanwhile there's some other users do use this feature. 

17 minutes ago, Jshwam said:

Here is a video of what is happening. 

Can you enable the touch? 

The video capture software I was using doesn't have that feature apparently. Do you know of one that does?

I thought I was rather clear on my statement. Obviously I understand that u can just tap outside the screen, or press back.. I just said that. My problem is... Apparently because I have an S7 and my thumb is longer it isn't very easy to, and is actually an awkward movement to do while typing, swipe horizontally with this phone. What happens is more of a swooping motion from down to right like a curve, rather than a straight movement from the period straight right to get the ? (happens only to the ? because of the movement) . Obviously this isn't SwiftKey's fault. I was simply asking if there was a way to turn the gesture off, along with the flow so this does not happen. This was never an issue with previous versions or with my s5 because it was slightly larger width wise so I could easily swipe directly horizontal. The main reason I use this keyboard is because of that quick access to the punctuation. That's what really sets it a part. You don't have to stop and hold anything to reveal the symbol you're after. Or tap the "123" button like with iPhone default keyboard just to gain access to the ?. 

Not quite sure how not being able to have the ability to turn off a feature like gesture, makes SwiftKey "awesome". Which it is, but not for its lack of customization.. Gestures again is useless because it imo is quicker (yes some may find it easier to use gestures) to press back key. So if Its messing me up and I have no use for it, why would I want it. Hence the benefit to allowing it to be toggled on/off. I would assume I am not the only person experiencing this issue.

You even took my side in the below screen shot. "We provide the features, it does not mean users have to use it one by one. It also means maybe a group of users don't think this feature is useful". Problem is...  Exactly.. But you give me no choice. I have to use either Flow, which I don't like, or Gestures, which I don't like because it causes problems.

huh.JPG

1 hour ago, Jshwam said:

The video capture software I was using doesn't have that feature apparently. Do you know of one that does?

I thought I was rather clear on my statement. Obviously I understand that u can just tap outside the screen, or press back.. I just said that. My problem is... Apparently because I have an S7 and my thumb is longer it isn't very easy to, and is actually an awkward movement to do while typing, swipe horizontally with this phone. What happens is more of a swooping motion from down to right like a curve, rather than a straight movement from the period straight right to get the ? (happens only to the ? because of the movement) . Obviously this isn't SwiftKey's fault. I was simply asking if there was a way to turn the gesture off, along with the flow so this does not happen. This was never an issue with previous versions or with my s5 because it was slightly larger width wise so I could easily swipe directly horizontal. The main reason I use this keyboard is because of that quick access to the punctuation. That's what really sets it a part. You don't have to stop and hold anything to reveal the symbol you're after. Or tap the "123" button like with iPhone default keyboard just to gain access to the ?. 

Not quite sure how not being able to have the ability to turn off a feature like gesture, makes SwiftKey "awesome". Which it is, but not for its lack of customization.. Gestures again is useless because it imo is quicker (yes some may find it easier to use gestures) to press back key. So if Its messing me up and I have no use for it, why would I want it. Hence the benefit to allowing it to be toggled on/off. I would assume I am not the only person experiencing this issue.

You even took my side in the below screen shot. "We provide the features, it does not mean users have to use it one by one. It also means maybe a group of users don't think this feature is useful". Problem is...  Exactly.. But you give me no choice. I have to use either Flow, which I don't like, or Gestures, which I don't like because it causes problems.

huh.JPG

Aye, show the touch location is inside your android system, it's also named glove mode. I don't have a Samsung device, but I believe you can find it in Accessibility or Developer Options of your phone settings.

I understand, but do you have any issue while using Google Keyboard to insert a punctuation by long press the period and choose the punctuation on the popup panel? If not, I suggest you ignore the punctuation slider feature and use the traditional method: long-press the period, then choose [!, or ?]. It's a little slower, but safer for you.

If the both mode are useless, I believe there must be some other posts complains about it. I have not seen anything like that so far. SwiftKey wants to make the settings as simple as possible, it's just a choice based on surveys results or the amount of feature requests, it surely won't be able to meet the requirements of all people, and none of the apps do. There are always and not exceptionally at least a few different opinions. In this case devs must make a decision to meet the majority's requests, maybe sometimes they can't meet the requirements of minority. I hope you can understand it. This is what I tried to tell you at the red underlined sentence.

And as we speak of request, you can absolutely make one on our support page. Fill the chart with the maximum details and suggestions that you can think of. The further evaluation and decision will be made by devs.

Best

Alpert

Hi there,

I just wanted to chime in. As @Alpert said, there is no way to turn all gestures off. Usually, people like one or the other. But all suggestions are good. There just becomes a usability issue if we make a setting for everything - but thats a different conversation.

If you use AZ screen recorder, in their settings you can turn on "show screen presses" or whatever they call it. From the video, i'm not able to tell if a swipe gesture was actually triggered, I mean I can see the keyboard closing, but this actually just might be a bug.

Can you turn on flow and see if the same thing happens? I would assume two things could possible happen

1) The same issue as you posted, the keyboard will close - because of some touch issue

2) We'll see a flow gesture from up to down - meaning you're actually triggering the swipe down to close

I appreciate you making the videos. They are super helpful in helping us understand exactly what is going on.

Best,

Ryan

There is no video necessary and it isn't a touch issue. I know what is happening, I am swiping down just a little bit while swiping horizontally to get the ?. Enough so apparently that it closes the keyboard at times. So my goal of this was just to see if there was a way to shut both off or not. Flow I don't use, and if it is on, a lot of times if you are typing and end up dragging your finger or something a bit, it will pull of a swipe gesture and just is annoying. Then the gesture option is as explained. So, guess its just something I'll have to deal with, but at least have raised awareness to it. I understand you shouldn't/can't be just creating different options for every little reason, that's just ridiculous. This one though, In my opinion at least. Should be a basic setting to be able to turn both off. Thanks anyway.

I've been wondering this for many many months, probably years.

Why don't you allow people a way to turn this off?  I think this statement above is a conflict of interests "You can not turn both things off. Because this is what makes SwiftKey awesome." 

That may be the opinion of the makers of the keyboard, but you will always be outnumbered by your user base.  To not give us this option is frustrating.  It's certianly not my opinion at ALL.

Flow/Gesture input has never been my preference, and causes more problems for me.

Give us the option. Isn't that was Android is all about?

16 minutes ago, MJRodman said:

I've been wondering this for many many months, probably years.

Why don't you allow people a way to turn this off?  I think this statement above is a conflict of interests "You can not turn both things off. Because this is what makes SwiftKey awesome." 

That may be the opinion of the makers of the keyboard, but you will always be outnumbered by your user base.  To not give us this option is frustrating.  It's certianly not my opinion at ALL.

Flow/Gesture input has never been my preference, and causes more problems for me.

Give us the option. Isn't that was Android is all about?

Have you submit a feature request during these months may I ask? A new development should be met at a certain amount of requests.

And, I don't understand why it causes problems, and what kind of problem is that? As you can see in the community, there isn't many people need both things to be turned off.

SwiftKey does take consideration of users' feedbacks, like the clipboard we added. One thing we should know is that there's no app can make every single users satisfied and that's exactly why you should submit the request, maybe ask if there's other VIPs need it too.

6 minutes ago, Alpert said:

Have you submit a feature request during these months may I ask? A new development should be met at a certain amount of requests.

And, I don't understand why it causes problems, and what kind of problem is that? One thing we should know is that there's no app can make every single users satisfied and that's exactly why you should submit the request, maybe ask if there's other VIPs need it too.

Yes, submitted.  You used to be able to turn it off, so why restrict it further and take away that option?

Yes, YOU can't see why it causes issues, perhaps because you use flow/gestures all the time.  I just want to type.  I don't want to use Flow or Gesture input.  Occasionally I'll get typos when typing quickly, because the interface actually thinks I'm flowing or gesturing instead of typing.  So instead of just letting me type the letters, it starts flowing some sentence that wasn't intended, nor makes any sense.  So it's actually more keystrokes to go and delete the nonsense than it would have been just typing it out without the flow problems.

6 minutes ago, MJRodman said:

Yes, submitted.  You used to be able to turn it off, so why restrict it further and take away that option?

Yes, YOU can't see why it causes issues, perhaps because you use flow/gestures all the time.  I just want to type.  I don't want to use Flow or Gesture input.  Occasionally I'll get typos when typing quickly, because the interface actually thinks I'm flowing or gesturing instead of typing.  So instead of just letting me type the letters, it starts flowing some sentence that wasn't intended, nor makes any sense.  So it's actually more keystrokes to go and delete the nonsense than it would have been just typing it out without the flow problems.

Of course I can't see till I got your reply. Be calm. I just want you to explain so that can make it as a part of request.

Besides your phone model, I am gonna need your SwiftKey version, ROM version and Android version as well. We need to know if it's particular issue.

I will raise it to the mods team.

I would like to be able to turn off both & think it's a little strange you're forced to use one or the other.  Anyway, will also submit a feature request to be able to disable it once again.

I made an account here to request to be able to turn off both Flow and Gestures. I do not like either function. I currently use Gestures because they are less bad, but I would like to disable both functions. 

On 04/05/2016 at 3:02 PM, Alpert said:

Hello, 

You can not turn both things off. Because this is what makes SwiftKey awesome. 

As for the punctuation slider, I don't understand how a horizontal swipe could be registered as a vertical swipe on your phone. I cannot reproduce the issue that you described. Maybe a short screen record video would be helpful. 

Looking forward to your reply.

Alpert. 

I disagree with you on that "that's what makes SwiftKey awesome". What makes this keyboard awesome is the accurate prediction feature and the gesture on the punctuation button, not the gesture/flow on the keyboard. Whether or not the developers find it awesome, the user should be in control of what they want on their keyboard. It wouldn't hurt to turn the gestures off, just as much as wouldn't hurt to add the option to turn off the Keypress Pop-up (which, by the way, is something that most of the community has been asking for a while now and you guys haven't listened to it). 

Regarding the gesture itself, I've wanted to turn it off, too. You see, oftentimes it can ben a real pain when one types too fast and one finger touches the keyboard before the other finger has been lifted, which triggers the gesture/flow. It can be quite annoying, assuming that someone that's typing fast doesn't want to undo the keyboard's misinterpretations.

I also want the option to turn off both swipe and gestures. Neither option is what makes SwiftKey so good. What makes your keyboard stand out is the prediction and auto-correct. The rest is just fluff. 

So how about giving us what we want?! 

I also would like to disable both features. One reason I switched from Swype+Dragon keyboard to Swiftkey was because Swype+Dragon was erroneously detecting a swipe when I would type quickly and hit 2 keys at a time, or maybe it was when I barely swiped to the side. And of course Swype+Dragon doesn't let you disable the swiping function. I like everything else about that keyboard.

Having said that, I can not replicate Jshwam's problem. I thought I was recreating it, but my finger was actually just dragging down to the BACK key on my S7 Edge. I did the motion quickly, like in Jshwam's video and couldn't make it happen. I can swipe directly down on the period key, from top to bottom, and it will not minimize the keyboard.

Jshwam, are you positive you aren't making contact with the back button? I am pretty sure that you aren't doing that, but I certainly can't replicate your problem.

I made a video with that AZ Screen Recorder. Turning on the "show touches" doesn't actually work, but I went into Developer Options and turned it on there and that shows up in the video. I'll attach it to this post since it made it under the 1.5mb limit. You'll see me swiping the crap out of that period button, haha, mostly at a downward or diagonal direction.

EDIT: Removed video attachment for personal reasons.

Just jumping back in here.

OP are you still having this issue? I would think we have something in place where the swipe down to hide the keyboard would need to be more significant that swiping down on a single button. If that's the case, I would consider this a bug.

I also understand that others would like a way to turn all gestures off completely. We track all feature requests and I will add this to our list.

12 minutes ago, Prad said:

Just jumping back in here.

OP are you still having this issue? I would think we have something in place where the swipe down to hide the keyboard would need to be more significant that swiping down on a single button. If that's the case, I would consider this a bug.

I also understand that others would like a way to turn all gestures off completely. We track all feature requests and I will add this to our list.

Thanks Prad! I'm wondering if Jshram was experiencing a bug that has since been fixed, as I can't replicate the issue. I'd like to see a video capture with "show touch" enabled.

I'm gonna delete my video attachment on my previous post since it kind of divulges more info about me than I'd like, hehe.

2 hours ago, snake2332 said:

I also would like to disable both features. One reason I switched from Swype+Dragon keyboard to Swiftkey was because Swype+Dragon was erroneously detecting a swipe when I would type quickly and hit 2 keys at a time, or maybe it was when I barely swiped to the side. And of course Swype+Dragon doesn't let you disable the swiping function. I like everything else about that keyboard.

Having said that, I can not replicate Jshwam's problem. I thought I was recreating it, but my finger was actually just dragging down to the BACK key on my S7 Edge. I did the motion quickly, like in Jshwam's video and couldn't make it happen. I can swipe directly down on the period key, from top to bottom, and it will not minimize the keyboard.

Jshwam, are you positive you aren't making contact with the back button? I am pretty sure that you aren't doing that, but I certainly can't replicate your problem.

I made a video with that AZ Screen Recorder. Turning on the "show touches" doesn't actually work, but I went into Developer Options and turned it on there and that shows up in the video. I'll attach it to this post since it made it under the 1.5mb limit. You'll see me swiping the crap out of that period button, haha, mostly at a downward or diagonal direction.

EDIT: Removed video attachment for personal reasons.

I think the problem lied with the s7. The phone is pretty thin width wise and I have bigger fingers so it was a awkward motion. Positive it wasn't hitting the back button because I have Haptic vibrations and I didn't feel it. I swapped phones to a note 5 and it doesn't happen nearly as often as it was. Still the option would be nice to toggle, but it's not so pressing anymore. Thanks to everyone for your input. Let's make SwiftKey even better! 

@Jshwam,

Thanks for chiming back in. That's why we're all here - to make SK better. I do apologize that I may not reply to every feature request or discussion post, but i do read them. I'm going to start to make sure I do chime in on most posts just so you know you're being heard by SwiftKey and we do enjoy all the feedback we get; positive and negative.

Cheers,

Ryan

Still dealing with this problem. Hate that I can't turn off gestures. I've actually started typing slower than usual, so as not to get a false flow or gesture. Sucks. Just let us turn it off. Even if the default setting is one or the other. Just give us the option. 

13 hours ago, MJRodman said:

Still dealing with this problem. Hate that I can't turn off gestures. I've actually started typing slower than usual, so as not to get a false flow or gesture. Sucks. Just let us turn it off. Even if the default setting is one or the other. Just give us the option. 

Oddly enough I got an email from one of our devs this morning saying they believe they have a fix for this "ghost flow"

If anyone who has this issue wants to chime in with what device and OS this happens on I'll pass this feedback on for further testing.