Welcome to SwiftKey VIP Community

Welcome to SwiftKey VIP Community. Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple, free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of SwiftKey VIP Community by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members

Chad

[Bug?] Stop inserting extra space after punctuation

Question

Something that always bugs me is that you wind up with an extra space at the end of whatever it is you type (especially relevant for fixed length text like SMS and Tweets). This is because SwiftKey adds a space immediately after punctuation. My suggestion is to not auto space after punctuation until you start to type the next word. 

This would also fix the problem whereby I want to insert some additional text between parentheses and an extra space is added after the closing parenthesis, even though a period follows immediately after it. For example,  if I was to move the cursor to right before the period of a sentence and type an open and closing parenthesis. 

Similarly, if I move the cursor back to the end of a word and add a comma, now I wind up with a double space. This definitely feels like a bug. 

15 answers to this question

I understand your frustration with the auto spacing, but this is the way SwiftKey works. It speeds up typing for most normal cases at the cost of making it a tad more difficult for marginal cases. 

As for your suggestion to input the auto space only after the next word is typed, I can see this causing an issue where there is supposed to be no space between words and the punctuation, such as emails. 

The issue that you face regarding an additional space added when retroactively adding punctuation and correcting words, depends on the text field that you are entering text into. For most applications, I do not face this problem, but it does exist in some, including typing on this forum using Chrome. 

19 hours ago, Chad said:

Something that always bugs me is that you wind up with an extra space at the end of whatever it is you type (especially relevant for fixed length text like SMS and Tweets). This is because SwiftKey adds a space immediately after punctuation. My suggestion is to not auto space after punctuation until you start to type the next word. 

This would also fix the problem whereby I want to insert some additional text between parentheses and an extra space is added after the closing parenthesis, even though a period follows immediately after it. For example,  if I was to move the cursor to right before the period of a sentence and type an open and closing parenthesis. 

Similarly, if I move the cursor back to the end of a word and add a comma, now I wind up with a double space. This definitely feels like a bug. 

Hello, 

Thank you for the feedback.

I experienced something interesting when I try to reproduce the issue that you described. Take a look:

• SK adds a space after a punctuation, yes. And when you start to type the next word, the space will be left there. But instead, you insert another punctuation just after the space, the space with former punctuation will be deleted, and another space will be auto inserted after your second punctuation.   -------- to me, this is what we expected. It just does the job in a different way.Your idea is: don't add the space, once user start to type a word, then add a heading space; SK does: add the space in the 1st place, if it's a punctuation behind, then remove the space, if it's a word behind, leave the space there.
  • you described: "Similarly, if I move the cursor back to the end of a word and add a comma, now I wind up with a double space. This definitely feels like a bug." However I cannot reproduce this problem. Once I finished a sentence, then I move the cursor back to any word, and add a comma, there's no second space added. Check my video with this link (Sorry for my pronunciation and background noise).

Hope you can upload an video as well for better analyzing.

Alpert

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you guys. Here is a video of what I am seeing. Jirraffe7 is correct that the punctuation issue only repros in some applications, such as Chrome. 

Check out the video here: Video

12 hours ago, Chad said:

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you guys. Here is a video of what I am seeing. Jirraffe7 is correct that the punctuation issue only repros in some applications, such as Chrome. 

Check out the video here: Video

Thanks for the video! 

I can reproduce the issue in Chrome following your steps. Any other apps that you've noticed in which those issues exist? 

I am going to let the testers know and try to reproduce it. 

Alpert 

11 hours ago, Alpert said:

Thanks for the video! 

I can reproduce the issue in Chrome following your steps. Any other apps that you've noticed in which those issues exist? 

I am going to let the testers know and try to reproduce it. 

Alpert 

Thank you. Can you also please communicate both the parentheses issue as well as my frustration with sometimes single, sometimes double space for a period. 

Chad

He's absolutely right.  It does this with commas too.  I keep finding myself with 2 spaces after commas.  It's more than a bit annoying.  As for the inconsistency, it's when the double tap for a . also autocorrects the word being typed.  IMHO, SK needs to NOT add a space after a word until the next word is typed or just give us the ability to turn this feature off.  I understand the theory, but I promise you I can type a space faster than SK can guess at the end of a sentence then have to go back and remove an extra space. A another reason to go back to the Google Keyboard.

41 minutes ago, TubaOrNotTuba said:

He's absolutely right.  It does this with commas too.  I keep finding myself with 2 spaces after commas.  It's more than a bit annoying.  As for the inconsistency, it's when the double tap for a . also autocorrects the word being typed.  IMHO, SK needs to NOT add a space after a word until the next word is typed or just give us the ability to turn this feature off.  I understand the theory, but I promise you I can type a space faster than SK can guess at the end of a sentence then have to go back and remove an extra space. A another reason to go back to the Google Keyboard.

Thanks for the report.

Please add following information, it would be useful:

• Phone Model
  • Android version
  • SwiftKey version
  • Does it happen in some particular apps?
  • If it does, which apps?

And  some users reported that the extra spaces problem is gone after update the Android WebView app to the latest beta version (join the beta tester).

Thank you

Alpert

LG G3

Android 6.0.0

SK 6.4.2.58

Happens in every single app

I should not have to install a beta version of another app for yours not to do this (no other keyboard I've tried does this)

2 hours ago, TubaOrNotTuba said:

LG G3

Android 6.0.0

SK 6.4.2.58

Happens in every single app

I should not have to install a beta version of another app for yours not to do this (no other keyboard I've tried does this)

Every single app? That's totally not normal. 

Normally no, you don't need to, until we found it's related. Because WebView app "controls" the rendering of most of apps on Android phone, not just in Chrome browser. That's why I invite you to try, and also because some users fixed the issue after updated the WebView app. 

Every app I type in, Facebook, Messenger, Verizon Messages+, Twitter (which can't afford an extra space), e-mail, Hangouts, etc...  Pretty much every app I use I've seen these extra spaces.

Google's betas are so unstable that anyone who uses them is a fool.   That this does NOT happen in any other keyboard I've tried, including Google's own, tells me this is your problem not Google's.

On ‎2016‎-‎09‎-‎19 at 7:53 PM, TubaOrNotTuba said:

Every app I type in, Facebook, Messenger, Verizon Messages+, Twitter (which can't afford an extra space), e-mail, Hangouts, etc...  Pretty much every app I use I've seen these extra spaces.

Google's betas are so unstable that anyone who uses them is a fool.   That this does NOT happen in any other keyboard I've tried, including Google's own, tells me this is your problem not Google's.

Have you tried anything like reinstall SwiftKey, clear cache in recovery mode or something like that? Because It's been nearly a year that I have been in the community and this is the very first time that I heard it (In every single app).

I know it's a very unpleasant for you, but...eh unfortunately I am the "fool" (lol) and maybe fortunately I don't have any problems.

@Prad Do we have a Verizon LG G3 for testing this problem?

On 9/19/2016 at 10:53 AM, TubaOrNotTuba said:

This is not a wide spread issue we're getting reported. I've not been able to reproduce, but I don't have your exact device. Since this is a troubleshooting thread, I was advise you to try a fresh install. As sometimes bugs can sneak in during an update process. Giving an app a fresh install (nearly most apps) this can fix some small bugs or crashes that are happening.

If you would not mind trying a fresh install. Once you tried this we can take next steps into seeing what the issue might be.

Thanks,

Ryan

Been there, done that.  Just FYI, I'm a new SK user.  I'd never had it installed prior to a couple days ago so it was a fresh install, but I've removed and added it back just in case.  I think a large part of the problem is typing a period or comma does NOT need SK adding a comma there.  Lots of us actually still us real keyboards for our daily jobs and neither Windows nor Macs automatically add spaces after periods or commas so asking us to change the way we automatically think while typing to use SK is illogical.  My automatic thought process is, "Start typing a sentence, type a comma, press the space bar, then type the next word. After the period start a new sentence."  If SK had its way that would look like this:

"Start typing a sentence,  type a comma,  press the space bar,  then type the next word.  After the period start a new sentence."  

Give us the right to not have an automatic space added after punctuation.  I promise I can type far faster without you doing it for me.  Since no other keyboard I've found does this it also creates a problem when one moves from device to device where SK isn't installed.  It's just illogical to force people to have a space.

BTW, it also causes major problems when typing codes like Adx.12 for internal things.  SK forces Adx. 12 which is NOT the code.

On 5/16/2016 at 0:26 PM, Chad said:

Thank you. Can you also please communicate both the parentheses issue as well as my frustration with sometimes single, sometimes double space for a period. 

Chad

I keep getting a period after 2 spaces no matter what and it's quite annoying. I have to go into settings and disable just to be able to space without seeing a "." after EVERY 2 SPACES. Double space for a period is great, but I'm not trying to double space.. I'm trying to edit a bulletin board in a game and trying to center words/phrases correctly. Wish there was a "tab" button. 

Also - off topic of spacing, going back to a word to capitalize or correct and choose it from prediction list will insert the word instead of replacing the entire word with new choice. I'll have to delete the rest of the letters that were "cut off" after inserting new word. Hope that makes sense .. Hard to explain via text. 

7 hours ago, Looloo1986 said:

I keep getting a period after 2 spaces no matter what and it's quite annoying. I have to go into settings and disable just to be able to space without seeing a "." after EVERY 2 SPACES. Double space for a period is great, but I'm not trying to double space.. I'm trying to edit a bulletin board in a game and trying to center words/phrases correctly. Wish there was a "tab" button. 

Also - off topic of spacing, going back to a word to capitalize or correct and choose it from prediction list will insert the word instead of replacing the entire word with new choice. I'll have to delete the rest of the letters that were "cut off" after inserting new word. Hope that makes sense .. Hard to explain via text. 

Hello, 

I think there's a difference between your issue with the issue of the OP. 

Double space to insert a period is a feature, an option. Which means you can turn it off. You can go to the SwiftKey settings > typing & autocorrect >quick period, toggle it off. 

And, there is a tab key: tap 123 button, then tap {&= button. The arrow one is the tab key. 

Third one, that's a good idea. Can you submit a request on our support page? For now there's only Google Voice input does that I believe. 

Alpert