Welcome to SwiftKey VIP Community

Welcome to SwiftKey VIP Community. Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple, free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of SwiftKey VIP Community by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members

havijer

My vocabulary is losing words [Under Review]

Question

Very simple and anyoing problem. I checked my stats a month ago a i had 10900 words added in my vocabulary. Today number is 9580. I have this bug on all SwiftKey versions in last 2 years. I cant beleive that you cant fix it.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

72 answers to this question

@Ray01 

Disregard the number on that stats card. Have you noticed any changes in prediction quality?

41 minutes ago, Ray01 said:

Why should I disregard that? I'll watch prediction quality more closely...

I just mean for the time being. Not entirely, my bad for poor choice of words. 

The actual prediction quality in theory is all that matters. There could just be a bug with how that stats card is reporting data.

They should definitely check that. I'm hundred percent sure I'm not entering 6000 words again if it's not a stats bug.

@Ray01 You definitely shouldn't need to. I have lost over 10,000 words added over the course of the 5 or so years that I've been using SwifKey. While the stats cards are helpful and somewhat trophies, they are not always 100% accurate. While you have a specific cloud attached to your account, sometimes the words become part of the Universal SwiftKey dictionary, and pull them out of "your added" words. This is one of the many reasons I imagine SwiftKey doesn't have a local dictionary you can view to see all the words you added. As you type, the predictions become tailored to you, thanks to the sophisticated technology behind SwiftKey prediction. The stats cards have always been viewed by me personally, as Achievements or Trophy's rather than Raw Data collection. Case in point, the heatmap isn't always 100% accurate, but it's close. 

As it has been 3 days since your last update here, how is the prediction quality? Has it tapered at all? Do you notice any significant change between your 16k dictionary and 10600 dictionary? Between updates, with the exception of one beta about a year ago, my prediction quality has improved, not diminished, even with "lost" words in my "words added" card.

Thanx for that explanation, it makes sense when you put it that way.

I can definitely see that the base lacks some words I added manually, that fact makes me doubt that I lost all 6000 (very specific) words.

So, prediction quality IS worse for me after all...

6 hours ago, Ray01 said:

Thanx for that explanation, it makes sense when you put it that way.

I can definitely see that the base lacks some words I added manually, that fact makes me doubt that I lost all 6000 (very specific) words.

So, prediction quality IS worse for me after all...

I  am sorry to hear that, hopefully on further review the developers can figure out what's going on between updates. As all your words are stored in the cloud it should be a recoverable option, pending the review! Keep typing and we will hope that the problem is sorted soon my friend!

I contacted SwiftKey android support a few days ago, no response.

I guess this is the way we're gonna deal with this, damage control , nice words and similar stuff, but my 6000 words are gone forever.

There's actually no way to contact someone to personally check my account about this.

. I can't contact developers.

They're not responding emails.

Very, very frustrating situation and very bad experience as a long time user.

Fortunately, gboard is improving and if I don't get a response on this, I'm gone.

Thanx everyone.

Ray, 

We've been talking here. The issue is being looked into. There are other things going on as well. It doesn't seem like you are having an issue with prediction quality. It only seems to be that stats card that worries you. That's just a number.

Well, I don't get those words in prediction, so the prediction quality is definitely worse.

There are no words, simple as that.

We'll see what happens and how fast.

49 minutes ago, Ray01 said:

Well, I don't get those words in prediction, so the prediction quality is definitely worse.

There are no words, simple as that.

We'll see what happens and how fast.

This is not a serious bug. I've told you, don't let that stat card fool you. You have not mentioned the quality of your predictions being bad. You just assume they are worse because some stat card says you've lost 6000 words.

I told you it's being looked into. I will update this thread when I know more. 

OK, let's see where this takes us.

And it's not just a number in stats, I hope that's clear now.

Sometimes it is much more comfortable to use a paid app. Then you can expect something for your money.

When we have a free app like this, developers can always say "We're sorry, you're free to look elsewhere".

I didn't choose the business model for SwiftKey, but these are serious things.

Just imagine Google staying silent about disappearing emails or photos because the service is free.

These are just examples, I'm thankful for your help, of course.

What words specifically have you lost? I've been using SwiftKey for over 5 years and I have a little under 7000 words added (at the time of this writing my "stats" card shows 6992) most of them are slang, emails, or abbreviations. I also work in the vape industry so I use words like KangerTech, Smok, etc, compound that over 40 brands used in the marketing that I do almost exclusively through my phone, and I have never lost prediction quality via an update. I rarely pay attention to the card and haven't noticed any difference of predictions. It just seems crazy that you are one of the few users affected by a statistic. Screenshots showing what you're trying to predict and what's coming up would also help a bit more locating the issue quicker by our development team. We try to help every user, but for some situations there is not enough information to zero in on a cause for the issue. Help us help you rather than judging how we deal with issues, SwiftKey is a very busy company with thousands of moving parts in an epic machine. While this issue is the one that plagues you, there are millions of users worldwide suffering from issues just as important to them, it's important to quantitatively address those issues. 

Any more information you can provide would assist in this matter, screenshots, exact words "lost", etc, etc.

Are you seriously asking what are the exact words that I lost? There are 6000 of them, random kinds of words. All different. In my language mostly.

Emails are working.

If there's someone that can help me with this and check my personal account, i can give all the vital details.

I don't understand how can you expect me to replicate the problem when words are not there.

Why would I have a screenshot of my previous situation, who takes Screenshots of their app settings/stats?

If a add a word now, it works.

You have to take my word for it, but you won't obviously. "There are other users and issues", I know.

So, the best solution is to look at my account (or someone from development team) and see for yourself.

You certainly have some backup or internal stats about every account.

You know all my words after all. You can edit or delete my account.

I'm sure you can see that I have 6000 words less now and automatically worse prediction.

I can tell you that many, many words that I added are not there anymore. I have to type them manually again. I look at some whatsapp conversations and I see that I definitely added them.

I even remember as there are many very specific words in my native language.

So I'm sure that I'm not wrong here.

I can believe you that you don't know what's happening. But this situation is very frustrating, not only at this moment, but imagine this happening again after, who knows, new 10000 words?

I'm not asking for all 6000 words. I'm taking your word that there is an issue, otherwise I wouldn't spend my time here trying to validate and figure out exactly what you lost. I'm asking for precisely what I asked for, examples of specific words lost. If you say there is an issue with prediction, I am asking WHAT the keyboard is failing to predict. Screenshots of CURRENT issues, not ones in the past. For instance, if you are trying to say "Yrdvark" and the predictions are not there, then take a screenshot, and post here. Finding out exactly what issues in prediction quality that you're having will help us isolate the issue. Personal dictionaries are stored locally, and backed up on your cloud, the access to them is impossible for even SwiftKey, as its in the coding of the AI to predict words you use more often. We do not know the words, I'm asking you specifically WHAT words you've noticed gone. I'm sorry if my other users and other issues comment struck you as uncaring, so let me explain. There is a priority list, and you seem to be one of the only people across the millions of users affected, so it is a matter of priority. There are some that are not having predictions, there are some iPhone users that can't access their themes, there are literally thousands of individual problems that effect everyone in a different manner, across the globe. So, if we can isolate the issue, and have it as clear as humanly possible, there may be a simple fix. When you're the number 1 keyboard across an entire device used by hundreds of millions of users, the issues pile up quick and it can be a matter of, ok what's the BIGGEST issue across the board, that's how prioritization works. There is also a matter of making changes and new developments to the app to make it better, and maintain the number 1 spot.

So yes, I'm seriously asking what words you've noticed gone. It helps fix the problem when we have the information. If you're having a problem you should be able to provide further details regarding said problem, I do not care to know all 6000 words, but if we can figure out what words and predictions seem to be failing you it might help the development team fix the issue quicker. And what do you mean words in your language? Which language?

I use dual language setup. English/Serbian.

Serbian is very different to English, every word has many "forms" in different uses.

For example, boy = dečak. Now I'll try to type boy's in Serbian and take a screenshot.

f63cd80f5b7696ed591f2d229319e33b.jpg

OK, I did it now and it didn't recognize very basic word that I added earlier - dečakov.

I know I added that word. And now it works,

c199b9da23b8108409c54ee825bcaed3.jpg

I can give you literally hundreds of examples like this.

Ok, now we're actually getting somewhere. Do you have Serbian enabled in your language settings? Based on your screenshots you only have one language enabled which is why your prediction quality is suffering. It should have the language you're typing in shown on your keyboard in multilingual setups. If you do have in enabled and you do not see the switch on the spacebar, go into language settings and click Serbian, then select QWERTY (Serbian/Croation/Bosnian). These simple settings can effect your predictions quite a bit.

I have two languages enabled and they both work.

One of the key SwiftKey features for me is automatic language selection.

I never change language manually like on gboard for example, I hate that.

If what you're saying was the case, Serbian wouldn't have worked at all.

What you're seeing is because I use qwerty layout only, Serbian can be written in qwerty layout just fine and I prefer it.

Prediction adds missing letters for me and it worked on SwiftKey perfectly for years and it still works.

It's just matter of individual words missing.

d10f9684f722e23aa34bf55e52f97c56.jpg

Edit: now I even tested that other layout you mentioned, it works the same.

I get what you're saying. I'm simply suggesting that switching between the two keyboard setups will allow your predictions to be better tailored. The issue you're having might also have to deal with the Serbian dictionary SwiftKey has, which may differ greatly. There was the same issue with Chinese and other languages when they were added, it's a difference of dialect and personal use rather than the generic typed language. So if my solution doesn't work for you, I understand, but that is what I have. For now, it seems as though patience will be your ally as the SwiftKey team reviews and attempts to narrow down the issue. This will not happen overnight. It will be as soon as they can get to it, but three things, 1) this is not a simple problem with a simple solution. 2) threatening to move to another keyboard is not only non-constructive, it will not make the problem be solved faster. and lastly 3) we appreciate your patience and understanding, and will get the issue sorted for you.

Happy typing brother!

OK, thanx for your help and sorry if I sounded rude. It wasn't my intention as I'm the biggest SwiftKey fan and I want to keep using it.

Keep me updated :).

Thanx again

Same problem.

I am always losing words.

Example - word

"oprostiše"

f5f4907614009371f4b0aa380c20229d.jpg

This word is not in my dictionary.

But! I added that word.

When?

91cee9c53d6cdd78c5b675e8daf4919a.jpg

You can see, few months ago.

But you can not do anything about that problem.

A always always losing words.

In this example a want to say same sentence and keyboard can't predict it.

Example

33ddc537f73d8261156d2c9e819169f0.jpg

There is not word "maler" although sentence is completely same!

Prediction = 0!!!

@havijer

What languages do you have installed? What version of SwiftKey are you using?

Serbian language.

But i have this problem with all versions of SwiftKey

And?

Any help?