Welcome to SwiftKey VIP Community

Welcome to SwiftKey VIP Community. Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple, free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of SwiftKey VIP Community by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members

Prad

New Android N Emoji + Diverse Emoji

17 posts in this topic

Hello beta community,

In today's latest SwiftKey 6.4.1 beta two update, we have added all the new Android N emoji + diverse skin tone emoji.

- You can find all the new emoji all within the different emoji panels

- Diverse emoji can be used by longpressing on emoji that are able to be changed (you'll see a grey arrow in the bottom right corner next to the emoji) then a popup box will appear. Select the one you want to use and it gets inserted.

Check out the little gif I made below to see how it works.

GM_20160824_85024.gif

What do you think about the way you select new emoji?

Would you prefer to select the new diverse emoji with a press hold and slide gesture like we do with punctuation?

Would you like SwiftKey to remember the last used skin tone or go back to the default color after each use?

Let's hear your feedback!

Cheers,

Ryan

Last used.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Hello beta community,

In today's latest SwiftKey 6.4.1 beta two update, we have added all the new Android N emoji + diverse skin tone emoji.

- You can find all the new emoji all within the different emoji panels

- Diverse emoji can be used by longpressing on emoji that are able to be changed (you'll see a grey arrow in the bottom right corner next to the emoji) then a popup box will appear. Select the one you want to use and it gets inserted.

Check out the little gif I made below to see how it works.

GM_20160824_85024.gif

What do you think about the way you select new emoji?

Would you prefer to select the new diverse emoji with a press hold and slide gesture like we do with punctuation?

Would you like SwiftKey to remember the last used skin tone or go back to the default color after each use?

Let's hear your feedback!

Cheers,

Ryan

Only for Android 7.0 devices correct?

Hello, I am running android 6.0.1. I have installed EmojiOne font (unicode 9.0) and I have modified the fonts.xml and the fallback_fonts.xml files in order to properly see the emoji on my smartphone. On my google keyboard everything works, I can see the unicode 9.0 emoji and I can change the skin tone.

Today, I have installed SwiftKey Beta 6.4.1.45 but I have a problem. I can see all the unicode 9.0 emoji but I cannot change the skin tone. I have attached an image that shows you that I have all the emoji but I cannot change the skin tone. Since the SwiftKey should use the emoji from the android system, why I am not able to change the skin tone?

Best.

emoji.jpg

@Houston Texas Yes, this is only for Android 7 or people who made have modded their device.

@8paolo9 Unfortunately, I don't think we play well with custom edits like this. This is something we need to look into more.

Will this work for android 6.0.1? I would like to have this as a hold and slide feature like the punctuation. I would also like to be able to set a default skin tone. 

1 hour ago, quelsplace said:

Will this work for android 6.0.1? I would like to have this as a hold and slide feature like the punctuation. I would also like to be able to set a default skin tone. 

This will not work with 6.0.1 as this is part of the Android 7 new features. We sadly cannot control this. 

Personally I would like to select the different diverse emoji the same way as selecting punctuation, and would like it to always go back to the default yellow, though I can see why people would prefer the most recent to become the default on the keyboard, so would suggest that this be an option you could enable in settings.

Thanks

This will be a tricky one as I bet different people would like different stuff. We'll see what happens when more people get N. 

@Houston Texas Yes, this is only for Android 7 or people who made have modded their device.

@8paolo9 Unfortunately, I don't think we play well with custom edits like this. This is something we need to look into more.

Have you looked into custom edits, not every phone will get Android N. However, a lot of people will mod their phone.

3 hours ago, Houston Texas said:

Have you looked into custom edits, not every phone will get Android N. However, a lot of people will mod their phone.

I understand that. 

But the mods will also remove the warranty, I personally don't encourage people to do that for the reason to taste the latest fancy things.

And I am not denying your suggestion either. Just need more options and thoughts.

Best

Alpert

On ‎2016‎-‎10‎-‎14 at 10:43 AM, Alpert said:
I understand that. 

But the mods will also remove the warranty, I personally don't encourage people to do that for the reason to taste the latest fancy things.

And I am not denying your suggestion either. Just need more options and thoughts.

Best

Alpert

If you're not getting Android N that means warranty is long gone. Plus, it's a personal choice.

On ‎2016‎-‎08‎-‎26 at 10:14 PM, Prad said:

This will not work with 6.0.1 as this is part of the Android 7 new features. We sadly cannot control this. 

Google keyboard (as well as the new gboard) support diverse emoji, and the hands have had skin tones for a long time in Android, yet I'm unable to use them with latest swiftkey beta. I have modded iOS 10.2 emojis on top of Android 7.1.1 emoji ttf file, and still can't see the skin tones. I can, however, see the new profession emojis.

Simple fix to have the skin tone emojis to work on other Android versions than 7, yet you don't do it..

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, mr.yawnie said:

Google keyboard (as well as the new gboard) support diverse emoji, and the hands have had skin tones for a long time in Android, yet I'm unable to use them with latest swiftkey beta. I have modded iOS 10.2 emojis on top of Android 7.1.1 emoji ttf file, and still can't see the skin tones. I can, however, see the new profession emojis.

Simple fix to have the skin tone emojis to work on other Android versions than 7, yet you don't do it..

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

We keep things simple.

On average few users would do that long and quite complicated thing just for getting new emoji. And new emoji might work on your device, but if other device doesn't have the same emoji pack, the receiver is not able to see what you've sent. It is not a hard work, we surely know, but personally speaking : what's the benefits for all? I guess SwiftKey doesn't want to people to think : "SwiftKey is encouraging people to root their phone in order to have new emoji. " or sub message like "if an user don't know how to install customized emoji, then his phone would be out-of-date" . Not every Android user is a geek, most of them are not.

From a user may not see this, but me, as both a mod and an user, I understand why SwiftKey hesitates to do that.

As mentioned above, we don't support hacking your phone for emoji at this time. 

Other most known keyboards like Gboard or Chrooma implemented emoji diverse in Marshmallow phones. It doesn't matter which emoji package or which Android version are you using. SwiftKey should bring this feature to other phones, it can't be that hard? 

On 2/7/2017 at 1:34 PM, Alpv said:

Other most known keyboards like Gboard or Chrooma implemented emoji diverse in Marshmallow phones. It doesn't matter which emoji package or which Android version are you using. SwiftKey should bring this feature to other phones, it can't be that hard? 

Technically no, we have great dev team.

The problem is the compatibilty, if SwiftKey has the emoji that the system doesn't support, there would be issues like display problem, worse could cause unexpected force stop of an app. It is important to assure the user experience, and the first thing is : be stable.

Fancy things could be introduced after, but so far we don't have other better options.

Alpert

To speak to Alpert's point, have you ever seen on Android the squares or boxes that show up behind some Apple users tweets, messages, or posts? That is an Unicode incompatiblity. To prevent this on any device ensuring that every emoji you send is seen, SwiftKey only enables universally supported Unicode Emoji. It's a standard system, to ensure every emoji used via SwiftKey is seen by every user using any platform or keyboard.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk