Welcome to SwiftKey VIP Community

Welcome to SwiftKey VIP Community. Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple, free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of SwiftKey VIP Community by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members

clem.niem

Trouble putting the next word in caps with no auto space with Flow [bug reported]

12 posts in this topic

Hey there, 

- Nexus 5X

- Android 6.0.1 (Okt 15)

- Version 6.4.8.27

- german and english

 

After flowing a word it is  displayed like this: "test¦" (where ¦ is yhe text cursor). It should be: "test ¦"

After i press space I got: "test  ¦" (two spaces)

So my guess is that the first space is written but not displayed somehow.

 

When I choose the word from the three choices above it works. 

 

Please fix this as it is very confusing :)

 

Thanks, 

Clem

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the report, @clem.niem. Our latest beta release aims to help improve the use of autocorrect by relieving you of the extra space that SwiftKey normally inserts and allowing you to further correct the word you just typed rather than having to backspace into it over and over again. While this means that there shouldn't be a space after a word until you've entered a new word, pressed the spacebar, or continued to Flow, a second space (after hitting spacebar) is not. We'll look into that part of the issue, but hope you won't have much trouble adjusting to the new way Flow is being tested.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Right - I've noticed this, too.  Was confused at first, then just continued flowing and "learned" that I need not press the space bar. However, I must admit that I still feel the need to check that the space IS there.

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/6/2016 at 3:29 AM, Brandoberry said:

Thanks for the report, @clem.niem. Our latest beta release aims to help improve the use of autocorrect by relieving you of the extra space that SwiftKey normally inserts and allowing you to further correct the word you just typed rather than having to backspace into it over and over again. While this means that there shouldn't be a space after a word until you've entered a new word, pressed the spacebar, or continued to Flow, a second space (after hitting spacebar) is not. We'll look into that part of the issue, but hope you won't have much trouble adjusting to the new way Flow is being tested.

The problem is that capitalizing the next word interferes with the caps set in the first word. Also, enclosing a word in asterisks becomes very tedious. I went back to the stable build to avoid the frustration of typing a word, typing a space, typing an asterisk, deleting an extra space, and of accidentally turning words into all caps when I was trying only to capitalize the one after them.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So we're going to look into this. At first I was not understanding the problem. A work around is if Flowing and the space bar is stuck at the end of the last word. If you Flow your next word, the cursor would remind at the end and you could hit shift then and it would caps it.

 

But I understand this is not the best experience.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No auto space when using flow has really killed my efficiency and speed. I, quite honestly, can't stand it. As others have mentioned I get tripped up when trying to capitalize the next word, but most frustrating is I no longer get predictions when I use flow because the cursor is stuck on the last word. I only get suggestions for the last word flowed and no predictions for the next word or words. 

 

It's a good idea in theory but if you're going to make a feature like this at the very least make it optional so we can turn it off if we hate it. I only just got the update today and I'm already extremely frustrated by it. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi there,

I understand things are different. As you noticed, there is a bug with trying to caps the next word. We will fix this. You can still get next word predictions by selecting a word first.

 

We also understand how changes in how things work can throw you off. As you said, it's only been a few hours. Just try giving it a few days and see if your feelings change. We are listening to feedback while this rolls out.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the only problem here is that beta is not auto inserting a space after user is done swiping. Non-beta app does that. Since the beta app is not auto inserting a space, prediction engine thinks that user is not done typing word yet and does not make accurate predictions (that is my guess), cause predictions show up correctly as soon as I manually insert a space (which then actually inserts 2 spaces as OP reported) 

Switching to non-beta until this is fixed and hoping this buggy behavior does not end up in non-beta app.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/8/2017 at 7:41 AM, kalehv said:

I think the only problem here is that beta is not auto inserting a space after user is done swiping. Non-beta app does that. Since the beta app is not auto inserting a space, prediction engine thinks that user is not done typing word yet and does not make accurate predictions (that is my guess), cause predictions show up correctly as soon as I manually insert a space (which then actually inserts 2 spaces as OP reported) 

Switching to non-beta until this is fixed and hoping this buggy behavior does not end up in non-beta app.

 

This is not a bug, but how Flow is going to work going forward. This new Flow feature is out to 100% of beta and will be rolling out to market soon. There is an issue that OP wrote and we are working on a fix. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Spacebar

 

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please give an option to go back to an autospace after flowing a word. I have loved my Swiftkey keyboard for years now and I rarely make mistakes. Now there is an extra tap every time I flow a word. It makes me insanely frustrated to see it "correcting" my word to the exact word I already typed. Bring back the autospace after flowing, please. I beg of you.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2017-03-13 at 11:49 PM, Prad said:

 

This is not a bug, but how Flow is going to work going forward. This new Flow feature is out to 100% of beta and will be rolling out to market soon. There is an issue that OP wrote and we are working on a fix. 

 

If it's not a bug, could they at least give us the option of doing things the old way? Since updating it's no longer predicting any words, just giving me suggestions on the word I just wrote. You now have to manually add a space after every word in order to see the actual predictions. Feels like back-spacing to correct a mistake is more "normal" than having to tap space after every correctly written/flowed word in order to see the next predicted word. Judging from other threads on this forum, I'm obviously not alone in feeling this way.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now