Welcome to SwiftKey VIP Community

Welcome to SwiftKey VIP Community. Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple, free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of SwiftKey VIP Community by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members

Briankbl

"No Space After Flow" Feedback

22 posts in this topic

Seriously, this is the way it should have been from the start. It makes correcting mistakes so much easier! I no longer have to backspace, then choose a correction. The whole typing flow is so much smoother now.

However, my one bone to pick is that colons still auto insert spaces between it and the previous word, resulting in this :

It's Supposed to look like this:

This is the last spacing issue I want fixed and I'll be a happy camper!

I've actually been having quite a bit of trouble with this update. Many times the word I just swiped will automatically be autocorrected to an incorrect prediction. Since I often combine flow input and the predictions, it is also annoying have to first choose the word I just swiped from the three predictions at the top before I can choose the next word to be selected. It would be nice to at least have an option to return to the old way of swiping, because it worked better for me.

I love this update! It's amazing! And yes, it should be the same for the regular typing! Great update!

Gesendet von meinem Pixel XL mit Tapatalk

I've actually been having quite a bit of trouble with this update. Many times the word I just swiped will automatically be autocorrected to an incorrect prediction. Since I often combine flow input and the predictions, it is also annoying have to first choose the word I just swiped from the three predictions at the top before I can choose the next word to be selected. It would be nice to at least have an option to return to the old way of swiping, because it worked better for me.

In your example, it's actually faster for you.

You flow a word.

SwiftKey doesn't get it right.

Would you rather press backspace to delete the auto space and then select your correct word?

OR

Not have to press backspace to correct the word? Just immediately choose the correct word from the bar and move on to either flowing the next word or choosing predictions?

It's faster this way because you're skipping the step of having to backspace then choose correction.

Hey there, VIPs! If you've updated to the latest beta build (v6.4.8.xx) recently, you may have noticed that a space no longer appears after you've finished Flowing a word. We're testing some stuff out and want to know how you feel about this particular mechanic. The idea is that it'll now be easier to correct words SwiftKey may have predicted differently than what you wanted.

Feel free to lay some feedback on us here, and even let us know if there's something wrong.

Happy Flowing!

-Brandon

I'd like to see it in normal typing without flow now please...i hate auto spacing as I have a habit of pressing space after every world and I don't want to change it.

I think it might be a good ideia **if** (and only if) this would be optional, as a setting users can toggle on/off. By doing this, you can satisfy both group of people.

Most of users are used to auto spacing after flowing words. Changing this with no option of turning back seems pretty bad.

Also, as more languages get neural net support, SK predictions tend to get better over time, diminishing, thus, the need to correct bad predictions.

I perceive that, after using SK Neural for quite some time, the predictions improved a lot, and, in this case, the auto spacing helps (at least me) flowing even faster.

Regards.

I absolutely love it. It makes correcting spelling errors so much faster! No more having to backspace!

However, there is one thing that's been infuriating. Capitalizing words. For example. I swipe "Happy new year". Crap, I wanted all three words capitalized... "happy new Year". Nope. If you swipe a word, hit shift, then swipe the next word, it undoes your previous word's capitalization and works correctly on the next word. It happens because of the missing autospacing. Because the cursor is at the end of the previous word, hitting shift is telling the keyboard to change shifts on the previous word. I hope I'm explaining this well lol.

Type Happy.

Happy

Type shift, swipe New.

happy New

Type shift, swipe Year.

happy new Year

See? That seriously needs fixing, but I'm so glad you guys have finally went with no space!

I'm with AdamBanzi on this - there at least needs to be an option. I feel several times slower using the no-space version,and it's made SwiftKey feel anything but swift. Oddly, some of the predictions were less accurate with the first version to introduce the no-space, too, but that seems to be mostly fixed by the latest version I just installed. The update does seem to help, so I might need the option less than I did, but I still prefer having an option from a UX perspective.

I desperately want it to go back to automatically adding a space after flowing. When I type a message now, I have to touch the screen twice as often because I have to put in a space after the word I just typed in order to see the predictions. I rarely had trouble with it misunderstanding the word that I was flowing, but now it "suggests" the word that I've already typed. I absolutely despise this new feature and I don't understand why there isn't an option to have the space automatically dropped in.

13 hours ago, dntpnc said:

I desperately want it to go back to automatically adding a space after flowing. When I type a message now, I have to touch the screen twice as often because I have to put in a space after the word I just typed in order to see the predictions. I rarely had trouble with it misunderstanding the word that I was flowing, but now it "suggests" the word that I've already typed. I absolutely despise this new feature and I don't understand why there isn't an option to have the space automatically dropped in.

I second that, I've been pulling my hair off trying to figure out a way, thought it was a bug or something, and found this thread saying it's not. This way makes prediction kinda useless, maybe that's not the best word, but, well, it's not automatic anymore. Having an option to disable/enable would be the way to go, everyone happy, company happy, maybe mad devs trying to figure out a way.

If I might just say: It makes sense to hit backspace to correct an error. In fact, at this point, it's hardwired into my reflexes to hit backspace when correcting an error. Similarly, it's hardwired into me to tap the predicted word that I know will be there, and now that just...adds a space. Totally unnecessary change that makes things feel clunkier.

I agree with the last few people, it's not predicting anything anymore... just giving me suggestions on the word I just wrote (correctly) and I need to press space in order to see predicted next words. Typing/"flowing" is now painfully slow.

Feel kind of weird to just remove this feature. Please add an option for auto-space.

Ok I also have to add: This change is not only annoying but it is littered with bugs. Spaces appear before ;and yet not afterwards, and the inability to just add an S to something to make it plural (also why was that s capitalized??!) is quite annoying (the s will appear after a space, as if you wanted to create a new word with it). Capitalization is forced after periods, even when auto Capitalization is turned off in the settings, and as you can see, it is remembering capitalizations from such scenarios!

I might just download an old apk to get around this...after all,at least two versions ago ,spacing worked correctly and words didn't get auto capitalized after "..." (though that seems to have been fixed?) 

I've run into a particularly annoying bug.

Let's say I have already:

One two three

And I select (highlight) three:

One two three

And then, with "three" still selected, I swipe the word "seven":

One two seven

The word is now correct but the word in the middle of the prediction panel is still "three". If I press space or type any other character it miscorrects "seven" back to "three":

One two three

This is particularly noticeable in Chrome. When I tap the URL bar while already on a page, whatever the current URL is will be pre-selected for me. So let's say I want to search for "happy cats". If I swipe "happy", I get "happy" but the middle suggestion is "I". So if I swipe or type "cats" next, it becomes: "I cats". In the past week I have run into this SO many times as it hijacks my attempts to Google in Chrome.

Yeah...while I'm sure that these BUGS COULD be addressed (also btw, while looking to make the next word all caps, I accidentally turned "bugs" INTO BUGS etc lol) it would be infinitely easier to simply revert the spaces change.

The default Android keyboard operates in the way that things have been changed to, and that is a major reason for why I use SwiftKey. Please change it back >.<

Edit: I got tired of waiting, so I went ahead and reverted to version 6.5.3.30 (just picked one at random)...gonna watch this thread for to see when it is worth going back.

@Brandoberry New VIP joining in, since this change now hit the production app. 

I agree with the many people here who don't like the new flow experience - I prefer the old behavior where you backspace, which works better for me. It's very confusing atm, sometimes it makes a space (e.g. Clicking on a prediction, typing specific characters such as ( ) - & . )  and sometimes not. The past few days I've been typing double spaces a lot... 

I agree with @dntpnc, @C.O., @Statici @ShevAmeMG and the many more  that this ruins prediction for flow-users, and makes it slower, especially for those that flows correctly most of the time don't want that extra click on the word in the predictionbar (which is already written since they flowed correctly),  just to get the next predictions. 

Definitely add and option for the old behavior and the new, opinions are very divided on what works best for the individual user. 

E.g an option named : Automatically add a  space after flowing - on/off

Considering downgrading myself just because of my this change. 

From beta version 6.5.5.27 changelog:

"- New Flow experience: When Flowing, we will show you three possible predictions instead of auto inserting the word "

I like the new experience, for a couple of reasons.

1. SwiftKey's Flow recognition is bad enough that correction is something you have to do often. So this simplifies the common use case.

2. It is more consistent with other keyboards (notably Google Keyboard, which I deleted when it became GBoard and started to try to do too many non-keyboard things).

Just to balance out the negative comments.