Welcome to SwiftKey VIP Community

Welcome to SwiftKey VIP Community. Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple, free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of SwiftKey VIP Community by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members

John Lee

[FR] Better navigation keys and Korean single vowel support

4 posts in this topic

Screenshot_20170118-034149.png

As shown above, SwiftKey's arrow keys:

• offer limited functionality,
  • sit below the main keys, forcing you to further extend your fingers when typing more frequently used keys, and
  • take up too much space, i.e. too tall.

Screenshot_20170118-033918.png

In contrast, the navigation keys of dodol Keyboard:

• offer additional functionality such as Select all (A), Copy (C), Cut (X), Paste (V), and Switch to numbers and symbols, all in the same row,
  • sit above the main keys, which is much better layout, and
  • are not too tall, taking up less space.

In addition, the following applies to Korean users only (I'm not sure if the forum rules allow essentially two topics in a single post. If it doesn't, I'd be happy to create a new topic):

Screenshot_20170118-034027.png

The above-mentioned dodol Keyboard allows you to select Google's single vowel (단모음) layout, the advantages of which are:

• You tap single vowels twice to enter double vowels (a to ya, o to yo, ae to yae etc.), freeing space and making keys bigger, which in turn results in much less typing errors.
  • For this reason, more and more Korean users are switching to the single vowel layout on different keypads.

So, why don't I just shut up and use dodol Keyboard as my main keypad?

SwiftKey far excels in many other areas, including:

• Swipe (Flow) input
  • Much better prediction, suggestion and error correction, using the Personalization feature and whatnot
  • Backup & Sync
  • Better support for languages other than English and Korean
  • Community support

All in all, I very much hope SwiftKey will implement the above (better navigation and the single vowel layout).

Swiftkey has grown very unresponsive lately. I wonder if it has to do with the change of ownership... Going back to Google keyboard for a change.

I've been using Google Keyboard and I'm very impressed, but willing to give SwiftKey another go.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Swiftkey has grown very unresponsive lately. I wonder if it has to do with the change of ownership... Going back to Google keyboard for a change.

I'm curious as to why you think this? There are 5 of us incredibly active in these forums and often times if we don't have a positive note to say we simply document and listen. Community feedback is more important than input from the long-time users and moderators of these forums we like to see the discussions posted and see a few sides of the issue before we come in with our reasoning and or responses. While we may not respond to every thread the day it happens they are all read. The SwiftKey team is growing, not shrinking and has very little to do with the ownership transfer as Microsoft kept the team intact. This app is always changing and always moving. In my experience Gboard has been on the come up, however SwiftKey still excels and saves me time communicating as well as adding features necessary to continue a wonderful, worldwide UX. Languages are tough, which is why we take this feedback very seriously regarding language usage and ease of use. Support for these languages take time, and it's still, all things considered, a new feature. Try offering a constructive criticism, or something youd like to see changed, feature requests are best filled out through http://support.swiftkey.com and documented by the development staff there.

Happy typing!

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Screenshot_20170118-034149.thumb.png.6911a47cdbfcedbb926223b6cdd9933c.png

As shown above, SwiftKey's arrow keys:

• offer limited functionality,
  • sit below the main keys, forcing you to further extend your fingers when typing more frequently used keys, and
  • take up too much space, i.e. too tall.

Screenshot_20170118-033918.thumb.png.7327fac9599bdd69336bf29887559b3b.png

In contrast, the navigation keys of dodol Keyboard:

• offer additional functionality such as Select all (A), Copy ©, Cut (X), Paste (V), and Switch to numbers and symbols, all in the same row,
  • sit above the main keys, which is much better layout, and
  • are not too tall, taking up less space.

In addition, the following applies to Korean users only (I'm not sure if the forum rules allow essentially two topics in a single post. If it doesn't, I'd be happy to create a new topic):

Screenshot_20170118-034027.thumb.png.1108b7705ca3ec3ee6c182d28d25c7cf.png

The above-mentioned dodol Keyboard allows you to select Google's single vowel (단모음) layout, the advantages of which are:

• You tap single vowels twice to enter double vowels (a to ya, o to yo, ae to yae etc.), freeing space and making keys bigger, which in turn results in much less typing errors.
  • For this reason, more and more Korean users are switching to the single vowel layout on different keypads.

So, why don't I just shut up and use dodol Keyboard as my main keypad?

SwiftKey far excels in many other areas, including:

• Swipe (Flow) input
  • Much better prediction, suggestion and error correction, using the Personalization feature and whatnot
  • Backup & Sync
  • Better support for languages other than English and Korean
  • Community support

All in all, I very much hope SwiftKey will implement the above (better navigation and the single vowel layout).

Thank you for the wonderful feedback, as you may be aware language models always change and improve over time, I can say it will get better because SwiftKey development is taking all of this information in on over 30 languages globally, we appreciate feedback like this because it gives our development staff a starting point, bear with SwiftKey, and from continued responses like this they should be able to improve greatly. Cheers!

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk