Welcome to SwiftKey VIP Community

Welcome to SwiftKey VIP Community. Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple, free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of SwiftKey VIP Community by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members

  • 0
Khaeid

Large Buttons Arabic Keyboard

Question

I think it can be more convenient and more typing accurate to some Arabic users, especially in the winter and with gloves, if the buttons were larger.
That means less buttons, and more hidden letters under long press.
 
I think it's not that hard for you to make two layouts to choose from, because some with smaller fingers or table users want a hardware like keyboard, while smartphone users want larger buttons. Most of other languages have two layouts in this application.
 
Please do this, as this is the only reason keeping me from using this keyboard. 

.

d802a341-7acb-41dc-abbe-ec4433403152.jpg

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 answers to this question

  • 0
2 hours ago, Khaeid said:

I think it can be more convenient and more typing accurate to some Arabic users, especially in the winter and with gloves, if the buttons were larger.
That means less buttons, and more hidden letters under long press.
 
I think it's not that hard for you to make two layouts to choose from, because some with smaller fingers or table users want a hardware like keyboard, while smartphone users want larger buttons. Most of other languages have two layouts in this application.
 
Please do this, as this is the only reason keeping me from using this keyboard. 

Hi,

Technically, it's very easy to change the layout. 

But, what's difficult is to find a layout adapted for most users. It works like : 

To continue a bit your suggestion :

  1. Which keys to be secondairy and which keys leave as primary? 
  2. If you decide those keys to be secondairy, do other users feel also convenient to use?

That's just 2 examples of the hard part behind the app developement. 

 

Alpert

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 hour ago, Alpert said:

Hi,

Technically, it's very easy to change the layout. 

But, what's difficult is to find a layout adapted for most users. It works like : 

To continue a bit your suggestion :

  1. Which keys to be secondairy and which keys leave as primary? 
  2. If you decide those keys to be secondairy, do other users feel also convenient to use?

That's just 2 examples of the hard part behind the app developement. 

 

Alpert

 

Hi,

 

- I understand very well what you are saying, and people will always be more needy and ask for changes.

- I am using a Note 4 with one of the biggest smartfone screens, and I am having trouble typing with 11 bottons in each line in Arabic layout, while the Englidh layout has only 9

- You can always keep the current Arabic layout and call it "Arabic Tablet", and make less buttons one and call it "Arabic Smartphone" for example.

- I can happily suggest which keys to use together, which I guess would be convenient for most, for instance all the ( أ إ ء آ ) can be secondry to the ( ا ), the ( ؤ ) can be secondry to the ( و ), the ( ئ ) secondry to ( ي ), all the accents (ً ً ُ ّ ) that in your layout taking whole button can be secondry to ( ش )

- Most Important, is that the advantage of having large sized buttons is much more important that the dis advantage of arguing of which s primary and which is secondary

- Most people will be used to the new layout and use it without arguing.

- The keyboard with the photo attached has a good large buttons layout, it even has the Farsi letters.

- Other Keyboards even have in the Arabic layout undo, redo, arrows, copy, paste, select all, as secondry to other keys

 

If it's simple, try it, other features you already have in this app are great, especially combining many keyboards in one, I use English, German and French, and it's great having them all in one keybard, in which you do hide many secondry keys behind primary keys,, like ( ö ô 7 ß ç ... )  and people are OK and happy about the advantages of the keyboard

 

I can make you a suggested layout table if you need it, and add the farsi ones. 

 

Thanx for your understanding and fast reply

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
19 minutes ago, Khaeid said:

 

Hi,

 

- I understand very well what you are saying, and people will always be more needy and ask for changes.

- I am using a Note 4 with one of the biggest smartfone screens, and I am having trouble typing with 11 bottons in each line in Arabic layout, while the Englidh layout has only 9

- You can always keep the current Arabic layout and call it "Arabic Tablet", and make less buttons one and call it "Arabic Smartphone" for example.

- I can happily suggest which keys to use together, which I guess would be convenient for most, for instance all the ( أ إ ء آ ) can be secondry to the ( ا ), the ( ؤ ) can be secondry to the ( و ), the ( ئ ) secondry to ( ي ), all the accents that in your layout taking whole button can be secondry to ( ش )

- Most Important, is that the advantage of having large sized buttons is much more important that the dis advantage of arguing of which s primary and which is secondary

- Most people will be used to the new layout and use it without arguing.

- The keyboard with the photo attached has a good large buttons layout, it even has the Farsi letters.

- Other Keyboards even have in the Arabic layout undo, redo, arrows, copy, paste, select all, as secondry to other keys

 

If it's simple, try it, other features you already have in this app are great, especially combining many keyboards in one, I use English, German and French, and it's great having them all in one keybard, in which you do hide many secondry keys behind primary keys, and people are OK and happy about the advantages of the keyboard

 

Thanx for your understanding and fast reply

Thanks for the very detailed suggestions. 

As there's few feedback from Arabic speaker, especially for the layout, I think we need more time to collect more opinions. Not to be rude, but "guess it would be convenient" is far from the actual development. Need more points of view and daily usage to give it a real test. 

Meanwhile, me personally I find your suggestions are very detailed and have some reasons, but as I don't speak Arabic, I wouldn't know how it's going to optimize the typing experience. My best advice here is : please go to the support page, click the "request" button, and submit it as a new request. Copy all the details you typed above into the box. Hope it could get some attention. 

 

Best

Alpert 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

I sent these to request

 


I had a conversation about this with a one of the mod team in the forum, and he advised that I send this with details to developing.
I did send these couple of days ago, I will just add details.

- The Mod said he does not speak Arabic, and you don't have much Arabic experience and feedback from users.
- I did see few suggestions for the Arabic Keyboard layout which apparently came from people who uses large screen tablets.
- I am using a Note 4 with one of the largest smartphone screens, and I am still having troubles with accurate typing using 11 buttons in each line in Arabic layout, while the English layout has only 9 and 10
- You can always keep the current Arabic layout and call it "Arabic Tablet", and make less and bigger buttons one and call it "Arabic Smartphone" for example.
- The advantage of having large sized buttons is much more important than the disadvantage of arguing of which key should be primary and which is secondary
- Most people will be used to the new layout and use it without arguing.
- The keyboard with the photo attached has a good large buttons layout.
- Other Keyboards even have added to the Arabic layout: undo, redo, arrows, copy, paste, select all, copy all, as secondary to other keys.
- The Persian swift layout already has 10 keys per row
- I included all special characters used in Kurdish, Pashto, Persian, Sindhi, Urdu, Uyghur. They all use same characters, in case you want to combine them in one Arabic keyboard, like you already do with other languages. Lots of users use Arabic with Kurdish and Persian Keyboard in the same time


- I can Happily, as Arabic native user, engineer, working in software field, to help by doing a special formatted file or table that you can implement in your software to get the final results.

Attached are files
01: A screenshot of original hardware Arabic keyboard layout.
02: A screenshot of good sized Arabic Smartphone keyboard layout.
03: A screenshot of Swift Arabic layout, you can easily see the difference in size, convenience and accuracy
04: An Excel file with a table of suggested Primary and secondary keys
I named the keys starting from up left "1.01" Which is ( Q ) in English layout, to bottom right "4.10" which is ( Enter ) in the English Layout
I used Swift keyboard for android to type all he characters in all the languages in Excel file, so they have same coding

it includes 
- Arabic Primary keys
- Arabic Secondary keys
- Persian secondary keys added to original Arabic layout
- Kurdish secondary keys added to original Arabic layout
- Sindhi secondary keys added to original Arabic layout
- Pashto secondary keys added to original Arabic layout
- Uyghur secondary keys added to original Arabic layout
- Urdu secondary keys added to original Arabic layout

I did the other layouts in case you want to do the same in these characters as you do for he Lain ones, one single keyboard with different languages suggestion and proofing.
As these languages use original Arabic characters with some adding, same as Latin languages use English characters with adding.
 
Thank you for your understanding and fast reply
Khaled

 

 

03.png

04.xlsx

05.txt

01.png

02.jpg

21 hours ago, Alpert said:

Thanks for the very detailed suggestions. 

As there's few feedback from Arabic speaker, especially for the layout, I think we need more time to collect more opinions. Not to be rude, but "guess it would be convenient" is far from the actual development. Need more points of view and daily usage to give it a real test. 

Meanwhile, me personally I find your suggestions are very detailed and have some reasons, but as I don't speak Arabic, I wouldn't know how it's going to optimize the typing experience. My best advice here is : please go to the support page, click the "request" button, and submit it as a new request. Copy all the details you typed above into the box. Hope it could get some attention. 

 

Best

Alpert 

I sent the above to Request

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
5 hours ago, Khaeid said:

I sent these to request

 


I had a conversation about this with a one of the mod team in the forum, and he advised that I send this with details to developing.
I did send these couple of days ago, I will just add details.

- The Mod said he does not speak Arabic, and you don't have much Arabic experience and feedback from users.
- I did see few suggestions for the Arabic Keyboard layout which apparently came from people who uses large screen tablets.
- I am using a Note 4 with one of the largest smartphone screens, and I am still having troubles with accurate typing using 11 buttons in each line in Arabic layout, while the English layout has only 9 and 10
- You can always keep the current Arabic layout and call it "Arabic Tablet", and make less and bigger buttons one and call it "Arabic Smartphone" for example.
- The advantage of having large sized buttons is much more important than the disadvantage of arguing of which key should be primary and which is secondary
- Most people will be used to the new layout and use it without arguing.
- The keyboard with the photo attached has a good large buttons layout.
- Other Keyboards even have added to the Arabic layout: undo, redo, arrows, copy, paste, select all, copy all, as secondary to other keys.
- The Persian swift layout already has 10 keys per row
- I included all special characters used in Kurdish, Pashto, Persian, Sindhi, Urdu, Uyghur. They all use same characters, in case you want to combine them in one Arabic keyboard, like you already do with other languages. Lots of users use Arabic with Kurdish and Persian Keyboard in the same time


- I can Happily, as Arabic native user, engineer, working in software field, to help by doing a special formatted file or table that you can implement in your software to get the final results.

Attached are files
01: A screenshot of original hardware Arabic keyboard layout.
02: A screenshot of good sized Arabic Smartphone keyboard layout.
03: A screenshot of Swift Arabic layout, you can easily see the difference in size, convenience and accuracy
04: An Excel file with a table of suggested Primary and secondary keys
I named the keys starting from up left "1.01" Which is ( Q ) in English layout, to bottom right "4.10" which is ( Enter ) in the English Layout
I used Swift keyboard for android to type all he characters in all the languages in Excel file, so they have same coding

it includes 
- Arabic Primary keys
- Arabic Secondary keys
- Persian secondary keys added to original Arabic layout
- Kurdish secondary keys added to original Arabic layout
- Sindhi secondary keys added to original Arabic layout
- Pashto secondary keys added to original Arabic layout
- Uyghur secondary keys added to original Arabic layout
- Urdu secondary keys added to original Arabic layout

I did the other layouts in case you want to do the same in these characters as you do for he Lain ones, one single keyboard with different languages suggestion and proofing.
As these languages use original Arabic characters with some adding, same as Latin languages use English characters with adding.
 
Thank you for your understanding and fast reply
Khaled

 

I sent the above to Request

Hi Khaled, 

Thanks for the detailed suggestions. 

Hope your contribution could make a difference of Arabic typing. 

 

Alpert 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites