Welcome to SwiftKey VIP Community

Welcome to SwiftKey VIP Community. Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple, free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of SwiftKey VIP Community by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members

Adam Barichello

Feature Request: Option to enable flow on lock screen

Question

In SK, Flow gets disabled on the lock screen which is a huge annoyance since I'm much faster at typing my password with flow. I'd love to see an option to enable flow on the lock screen.

Swype allows this and is one of the reasons why I continue to use it over SK.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

17 answers to this question

SwiftKey automatically disables Flow when trying to type in password fields and other fields that normally exclude predictions. This cannot exclude the lockscreen, mainly for security purposes. For Flow to work under normal circumstances, predictions must be turned on; and if you're Flowing in the same password multiple times throughout the day, the predictions may eventually show your password by default as a suggestion.

(How Swype achieves this without trouble, I cannot fathom. However, I would never suggest using it, even if you type faster while Swyping/Flowing.)

I know this is an old thread, but

How Swype achieves this without trouble, I cannot fathom

It's rather simple: Swype allows you to us swype (flow) in password fields, but does not learn from anything typed in these fields.

Like Swiftkey should. On the lock screen.

Anyways, off to Swype for me...

4 minutes ago, dovetalk said:

I know this is an old thread, but

It's rather simple: Swype allows you to us swype (flow) in password fields, but does not learn from anything typed in these fields.

Like Swiftkey should. On the lock screen.

Anyways, off to Swype for me...

This would be impossible for most modern passwords, that often include caps, symbols, and numbers. As this is a security deal, I'd much prefer tapping my 14 character, 3 symbol, 3 number and 2 capital password without having to worry about the speed of my taps being recognized as flow typing. It's not a matter of it learning anything, its a matter of if I was over your shoulder and saw your swipe line it wouldn't be very hard to recognize and memorize that. I much prefer higher security over ease of use. Same reason I don't use fingerprint scanners. Doesn't make for a secure environment.

3 minutes ago, Subliminal5oh2 said:

This would be impossible for most modern passwords, that often include caps, symbols, and numbers. As this is a security deal, I'd much prefer tapping my 14 character, 3 symbol, 3 number and 2 capital password without having to worry about the speed of my taps being recognized as flow typing. It's not a matter of it learning anything, its a matter of if I was over your shoulder and saw your swipe line it wouldn't be very hard to recognize and memorize that. I much prefer higher security over ease of use. Same reason I don't use fingerprint scanners. Doesn't make for a secure environment.

or, you know: make it an option that you can turn off, while others that want to be able to swipe turn it on.

Luckily your dislike for fingerprint scanners haven't resulted in disabled scanners world-wide.

I respect that you don't want this option, but that doesn't invalidate others' desire to have it enabled.

38 minutes ago, dovetalk said:

or, you know: make it an option that you can turn off, while others that want to be able to swipe turn it on.

Luckily your dislike for fingerprint scanners haven't resulted in disabled scanners world-wide.

I respect that you don't want this option, but that doesn't invalidate others' desire to have it enabled.

You also have to understand HOW many toggle features SwiftKey already has, as well as how each one changes how the app reacts in different environments. As the app is used by a very large group of individuals, this app is controlled by the masses, if there is enough demand for a function, usually the function is added. That's the purpose of feature requests. I'm simply saying that lockscreen functionality is such a small part of my cellular use, that it is impractical to add a feature that would be used by very few users. Almost everyone I know has security measures on their phones that Flow Typing would be more for the keyboard to load on a screen that is supposed to be seconds to move away from. Fingerprint scanners simply aren't secure and very easy to bypass (especially on cellular devices, see YouTube tutorials on how to bypass them for instance). Don't look at my difference of opinion as an invalidation, by all means use your device how you see fit. Taking the lockscreen out of the equation there is nothing that Swype offers that SwiftKey doesn't do substantially better in my opinion. So moving to another software simply for ease of use on the lockscreen is such a small part of mobile device usage that I doubt this will be looked at unless a massive amount of people do a feature request, rather than threatening to use another keyboard. It's why feature requests exist on http://support.swiftkey.com

2 hours ago, Subliminal5oh2 said:

You also have to understand HOW many toggle features SwiftKey already has, as well as how each one changes how the app reacts in different environments. As the app is used by a very large group of individuals, this app is controlled by the masses, if there is enough demand for a function, usually the function is added. That's the purpose of feature requests. I'm simply saying that lockscreen functionality is such a small part of my cellular use, that it is impractical to add a feature that would be used by very few users. Almost everyone I know has security measures on their phones that Flow Typing would be more for the keyboard to load on a screen that is supposed to be seconds to move away from. Fingerprint scanners simply aren't secure and very easy to bypass (especially on cellular devices, see YouTube tutorials on how to bypass them for instance). Don't look at my difference of opinion as an invalidation, by all means use your device how you see fit. Taking the lockscreen out of the equation there is nothing that Swype offers that SwiftKey doesn't do substantially better in my opinion. So moving to another software simply for ease of use on the lockscreen is such a small part of mobile device usage that I doubt this will be looked at unless a massive amount of people do a feature request, rather than threatening to use another keyboard. It's why feature requests exist on http://support.swiftkey.com

Oh, I understand perfectly how toggles complicate use and development. However, I am a user and I would like a feature. I expressed that, and addressed your comment on how you couldn't understand how Swype would get around storing passwords in the personalization database.

Came to this post while trying to find out how to enable this. As part of my searches, I've found plenty of people asking for it, a knowledge base article on swiftkey.com on how this has been turned off (so apparently they've received enough people asking for it to warrant writing an FAQ for it). This was the closest I could find to a feature request (it says so in the title of the post).

Can you point me to exactly where in support.swiftkey.com I could fill out (or vote on an existing) feature request? I couldn't find it.

What I reacted to above was your dismissal of the feature request with the statement that YOU don't want it. Just because you don't want it, that doesn't mean it wouldn't be a requested feature by others. The fact that some want it and others don't would be a good indication of an optional feature.

I  too would like to have the lock screen be flowable. Even better still if you registered your app with password verification services, as a provider of verification you could parametrically verify the sameness of the actual gesture and one-up those fingerprint people with a new security  method 

On 10/29/2016 at 1:28 PM, dovetalk said:

Oh, I understand perfectly how toggles complicate use and development. However, I am a user and I would like a feature. I expressed that, and addressed your comment on how you couldn't understand how Swype would get around storing passwords in the personalization database.

Came to this post while trying to find out how to enable this. As part of my searches, I've found plenty of people asking for it, a knowledge base article on swiftkey.com on how this has been turned off (so apparently they've received enough people asking for it to warrant writing an FAQ for it). This was the closest I could find to a feature request (it says so in the title of the post).

Can you point me to exactly where in support.swiftkey.com I could fill out (or vote on an existing) feature request? I couldn't find it.

What I reacted to above was your dismissal of the feature request with the statement that YOU don't want it. Just because you don't want it, that doesn't mean it wouldn't be a requested feature by others. The fact that some want it and others don't would be a good indication of an optional feature.

One of the things you also have to realize, is that I, just like you, represent a group of users, not just ourselves. As passwords become more complex and complicated, a lot of times the function of flowing the password becomes impossible. I use flow regularly, but never for password input. It's only logical then to determine that on the lock screen its an unnecessary functionality that will hinder more than help for fast typers. ie: on websites where my flow is enabled (occurs occasionally if the site is coded improperly) on my keyboard it recognizes my move from L to e as a flow, causing the wrong input. I'm simply trying to show you the other side of the coin, which is where my opinion of the functionality lies. If you choose to take that as a dismissal than I'm sorry that it came off that way. Simply put, there is no easy way to add a functionality that has two very differing opinions. I think that the idea of SwiftKey and their current update system is appeasing to all users, not just a few who have requested. Case in point, I do not like the hamburger menu. But the designers and developers of SwiftKey thought it would make a great addition considering the "used to it" feeling from android users about hamburger menus. Now that I have adopted and adapted to the use of it, it comes in handy. I still find myself utilizing the app settings more than the menu, but I can't say that its a huge burden on my use of the app. Same theory here. If the vast majority requested it, it would be implemented. As it stands I don't believe there are enough feature requests to warrant a new feature, while it still may be popular enough that it does show up on the FAQ.

In regards to your question about the site, on a PC if you scroll to the bottom of the page, there is a Submit a Request button, on the bottom left of the site. It's above the website information and adjacent to the Download on iOS and Download on Google Play buttons.

I have zero desire to be able to flow my password, however, the inability to flow on the lock screen causes me huge annoyance for pop-up SMS messages.  I probably use SMS from a locked screen more often than while unlocked.  Other gesture apps allow this so it's clearly possible.  I'm considering switching back to Samsung's native keyboard for this reason alone, despite the fact that SwiftKey is superior in most every other way.

As far as I'm aware, this is an Android security system functionality, it also disables secondary keys and some other functionality from the keyboard. Not 100% on this, I will do some checking and update when I find out for sure.

UPDATE: This is an Android issue for sure, I'm currently in a discussion with Android users on XDA, most native keyboards are NATIVE, and thus have all the permissions they need to continue platform functionality on every screen, any third party keyboard (with the exception of Gboard) will lose any extra functionality, or simply revert to stock on lock screen in order to make it easier to input passwords. This is not a SwiftKey feature, or anything that SwiftKey developers can "fix". Happy typing everyone =)

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

^Discussed many many times. The number one reason why I went away from this keyboard. They won't change it.

As far as I'm aware, this is an Android security system functionality, it also disables secondary keys and some other functionality from the keyboard. Not 100% on this, I will do some checking and update when I find out for sure.

UPDATE: This is an Android issue for sure, I'm currently in a discussion with Android users on XDA, most native keyboards are NATIVE, and thus have all the permissions they need to continue platform functionality on every screen, any third party keyboard (with the exception of Gboard) will lose any extra functionality, or simply revert to stock on lock screen in order to make it easier to input passwords. This is not a SwiftKey feature, or anything that SwiftKey developers can "fix". Happy typing everyone =)

I know for sure, Swype does work. Maybe it depends on the security setting of the lockscreen.

More depends on the permissions requested/granted by the keyboard. SwiftKey tends to be much less intrusive than most other third party keyboards.

Which is good. I myself don't use any security setting for my lockscreen. So why shouldn't the keyboard work then...?

Because there is still a swipe to unlock option. Which means there are Android security features in place, which in turn disables some functionality.

Quick reply is a feature of Android itself and your messaging app, with a native keyboard or gboard, or even swype (most times, unless it crashes), the permissions are there to allow full functionality. As SwiftKey doesn't control features of its phone, SwiftKey is not what allows quick reply. The Android permissions are what causes the lack of functionality, the keyboard still works, but doesn't have all the features such as flow or secondary (long-press) keys.