Welcome to SwiftKey Insiders Community

This community has now become "SwiftKey Insiders" - built around SwiftKey users who want to help shape the future of SwiftKey products from the ground up. 

This is not a support community. If you are looking for general support, feedback and feature requests, please visit our support site here.

Note: this community is only available for SwiftKey for Android at this time

But if you would like to join our iOS or Windows lists to be notified when we launch on these platforms, please let us know.

Sign up here if you're interested in:

• Seeing early designs
  • Playing with prototypes
  • Taking surveys 
  • Giving thoughtful honest feedback

Prad

Facebook Light

VIPs,

If you happen to really enjoy Facebook but don't want their app taking a huge portion of your devices memory.. you might be interested in Facebook Light.

The app is minuscule, coming in at just 252KB in size, making it ideal for entry-level Android phones with severely limited storage. It also uses lots of compression and optimization to allow it to still function on slow or weak coverage, such as 2G networks. And for those using older devices, Facebook Lite features support all the way back to Android 2.2.

Read more about it on Androidandme.com

Will you check it out...or nah?

Cheers,

Ryan

I might, depending on the permissions, which are my biggest issue with the standard Facebook app. I currently use Tinfoil for Facebook, which is a wrapper around the web site, mainly just so that I have a share intent for FB.

Oh, apparently it's not compatible with my Nexus 7. Never mind.

I informed my boyfriend about this just last night, Ryan. He owns a= somewhat low-grade, Android 4.0.4 phone, and said that his Facebook app is always extremely slow and never wants to load things properly. Granted, his phone was passed down to him and is about two years old now. When I read the article to him, he immediately wanted to give it a shot--but then I read, "The app is currently test launching in Asia and Africa, with support in Bangladesh, Nepal, Nigeria, South Africa, Sudan, Sri Lanka, Vietnam, and Zimbabwe." Is it currently available in the U.S. version of the Play Store? If so, I'll have him look it up and try it out. If not, I guess he'll just have to wait for a little bit. ^^'

It seems it is only available in those select countries. I guess I should have added that to this post before I got some people excited.

I would imagine it will role out to more countries. People have low power phones all over the world.

It seems it is only available in those select countries. I guess I should have added that to this post before I got some people excited.

I would imagine it will role out to more countries. People have low power phones all over the world.

Can be used anywhere in the world. Just download and install

http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/facebook-2/lite/facebook-lite-1-4-0-6-14-apk/

Aïe, the Lite version is too ugly. I think I will stay with the normal one.

Send from Taptalk HTC One M8

Seeing as you've already tried out Facebook Light, might you be able to post some screenshots for those users who cannot yet download it?

Also, what other things make you not want to use it, or make you want to use it?

Eh sorry, I already uninstalled it, so screen shots are kind of frustrating. But I would say that Facebook Lite is for phones which have a little RAM, half or one GB, or for who really wants to save battery. If you are not the case, don't use it. Because it's like a Facebook browser, if you use the original browser of your phone or Chrome (any browser you prefer), and let the browser remember your password, then it would be the same. Even phone browser could be better.

Send from Taptalk HTC One M8

So it seems to me that Facebook Lite is essentially a browser redirect, similar to what Comcast's Xfinity app used to be (now it's actually a useful tool!).

Is it still relatively smooth, do you know, on a low-grade device?

So it seems to me that Facebook Lite is essentially a browser redirect, similar to what Comcast's Xfinity app used to be (now it's actually a useful tool!).

Is it still relatively smooth, do you know, on a low-grade device?

It is a standalone app, it even implements messenger internally rather than a separate application. It does not open in the browser, it's rather terrible looking but user interface is usually the most cumbersome in terms of performance. It flies on my Note 3, and seems to run much smoother than the Facebook application, in background or up front.

I definitely appreciate Facebook trying to make their application more accessible, I just wish they could make the complete application halfway reliable and less reliant on every permission my phone has.

It is a standalone app, it even implements messenger internally rather than a separate application. It does not open in the browser, it's rather terrible looking but user interface is usually the most cumbersome in terms of performance. It flies on my Note 3, and seems to run much smoother than the Facebook application, in background or up front.

I definitely appreciate Facebook trying to make their application more accessible, I just wish they could make the complete application halfway reliable and less reliant on every permission my phone has.

Well, I'm not saying that it opens your default browser to work. More that, just like the Facebook website on your browser does, the app will simply load just url's to display your content, but add minimal coding only to alter the look and feel, thus causing it to take up "minimal" resources. Just a thought, though. Not an accusation, haha.

So, given that this app "flies" on your Note 3, in retrospect, it should run on low-grade devices at least somewhat smoother than the original Facebook app. Sounds good. But I think the view of the consumer has been slightly worked around rather than addressed, seeing as it requires almost the same permissions as the regular version.

It is still a new app, same as third-party keyboards on iOS. It'll take some time to iron out what should and shouldn't be included to make the app/website the best it can be for all devices.

That makes more sense lol!

And yes I agree, but Facebook has almost NSA level brazen actions when it comes to interfering with privacy protocols.

In all honesty, I'd be happy if applications would take a 'per diem' approach to applications, and use permissions as they are needed then relegate the application to isolation of the device.

In other words, Facebook just needs basic permissions to run, however if you want to upload a picture it then needs access to your camera/media device, for that instance I grant it; after the operation is completed, remove the permission and thus Facebook's intrusion into my device.

Although it would take more computing power to constantly adjust protocol for applications interacting with the device, I think that the small inconvenience will parlay paranoid actions toward specific applications. Facebook, of course, being the most intrusive.

VIPs,

If you happen to really enjoy Facebook but don't want their app taking a huge portion of your devices memory.. you might be interested in Facebook Light.

The app is minuscule, coming in at just 252KB in size, making it ideal for entry-level Android phones with severely limited storage. It also uses lots of compression and optimization to allow it to still function on slow or weak coverage, such as 2G networks. And for those using older devices, Facebook Lite features support all the way back to Android 2.2.

Read more about it on Androidandme.com

Will you check it out...or nah?

Cheers,

Ryan
No available in my country UK

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk