Welcome to SwiftKey Insiders Community

This community has now become "SwiftKey Insiders" - built around SwiftKey users who want to help shape the future of SwiftKey products from the ground up. 

This is not a support community. If you are looking for general support, feedback and feature requests, please visit our support site here.

Note: this community is only available for SwiftKey for Android at this time

But if you would like to join our iOS or Windows lists to be notified when we launch on these platforms, please let us know.

Sign up here if you're interested in:

• Seeing early designs
  • Playing with prototypes
  • Taking surveys 
  • Giving thoughtful honest feedback

Prad

Drop of prediction quality after updating

Swiftkey used to predict my email address, my Address when i typed my Zip code (and vice versa), predict Contact names... lately i have noticed a drastic reduction in precise predictions. Also, double-word predictions seem to have disappeared. Never seen them again on the past couple weeks

Android 7.0 

Samsung Galaxy S7

I'm not sure if this is relevant to this topic, but after the switch to the neural prediction, SwiftKey seems to ignore my training of the language model. 

For example, I have turned off auto caps at the start of sentences, but SwiftKey keeps making some words capitalised at the start of sentences even though I have been typing and manually selecting the non capitalised word. 

The extreme preference to predict plural forms over singular forms is another bugbear that I've posted about on another thread. 

I still type quickly with SwiftKey by getting used to these quirks, but I'm not sure if settling for these issues is the right way moving forward. 

6 hours ago, Jiraffe7 said:

I'm not sure if this is relevant to this topic, but after the switch to the neural prediction, SwiftKey seems to ignore my training of the language model. 

For example, I have turned off auto caps at the start of sentences, but SwiftKey keeps making some words capitalised at the start of sentences even though I have been typing and manually selecting the non capitalised word. 

The extreme preference to predict plural forms over singular forms is another bugbear that I've posted about on another thread. 

I still type quickly with SwiftKey by getting used to these quirks, but I'm not sure if settling for these issues is the right way moving forward. 

First letter of the first word in a sentence to be cap is the grammar rule. In my experience the grammar rule overwrites the word form. Because both prediction of cap and not cap exists in SwiftKey, the rules make the cap one in the front of sentence. And yes, if you want to have non cap word in the beginning of a sentence, you will need to tap on the shift to switch because this is not a normal use or a correct form. 

It's the same idea that you won't see SwiftKey cap a word automatically in the middle of the sentence. Because it's not the right grammar. 

SwiftKey aims to fast daily communication typing, regular stuff, so to follow the regular rules is easy and fast, more importantly is most people got used to and understand how they work. If you need something more specific, more professional, more personal use, you'll need a fully customizable keyboard to adjust everything. 

The plural issue, I just replied in your thread. Please check. 

Just now, Alpert said:

First letter of the first word in a sentence to be cap is the grammar rule.

This only happens for certain words though, others obey the non caps setting.

I wouldn't mind if the grammar rule is applied to all words, but the issue is that it is non-standard and so I, as a user, have to remember these deviations and self-correct.

5 minutes ago, Alpert said:

SwiftKey aims to fast daily communication typing, regular stuff, so to follow the regular rules is easy and fast, more importantly is most people got used to and understand how they work.

Exactly, so I'm pointing out that SwiftKey deviates from the rules it is supposed to apply consistently, as a user whose main use of SwiftKey is to type English.

4 minutes ago, Jiraffe7 said:

This only happens for certain words though, others obey the non caps setting.

I wouldn't mind if the grammar rule is applied to all words, but the issue is that it is non-standard and so I, as a user, have to remember these deviations and self-correct.

Exactly, so I'm pointing out that SwiftKey deviates from the rules it is supposed to apply consistently, as a user whose main use of SwiftKey is to type English.

Understood. 

Can you give us some examples (screen shot, videos) of this kind of issue happens? And more details like : does it happen in a specific app or overall experience? During daily use, what percentage would you give for the chance you run into this issue? 

2 hours ago, Alpert said:

Understood. 

Can you give us some examples (screen shot, videos) of this kind of issue happens? And more details like : does it happen in a specific app or overall experience? During daily use, what percentage would you give for the chance you run into this issue? 

Here are some examples. Note that I have caps at the start of sentences disabled.

'Hi' always appears capitalised even though every time I type it, I select the lower case version. Park (as in Korean surname) always appears capitalised, and I'm sure I type park (as in garden) and park (as in park the car) more than I type a Korean surname.

I have done the usual training by selecting the intended word everyone time, and also removing the word and retyping it. Both methods have failed to produce any result.

This happens for any app and frequently enough that I'm used to it. I can type and correct quickly on SwiftKey, but this is a frustrating experience. 

2 hours ago, Jiraffe7 said:

Here are some examples. Note that I have caps at the start of sentences disabled.

'Hi' always appears capitalised even though every time I type it, I select the lower case version. Park (as in Korean surname) always appears capitalised, and I'm sure I type park (as in garden) and park (as in park the car) more than I type a Korean surname.

I have done the usual training by selecting the intended word everyone time, and also removing the word and retyping it. Both methods have failed to produce any result.

This happens for any app and frequently enough that I'm used to it. I can type and correct quickly on SwiftKey, but this is a frustrating experience. 

Have you tried to delete "Hi" and "Park" from the predictions?

So next time when you type "h" key and "I" key, there would be "hi", tap on that. Same method for "park". I think this might help you.

15 hours ago, Alpert said:

Have you tried to delete "Hi" and "Park" from the predictions?

So next time when you type "h" key and "I" key, there would be "hi", tap on that. Same method for "park". I think this might help you.

Yes, I have done this and it does not work. The moment I type the word again, SwiftKey behaves as if I didn't delete the word. 

It is precisely because SwiftKey does not behave in the manner in which it is supposed to that is causing me frustration. 

Currently, I am testing out a fresh install of SwiftKey without logging in to my account to see if starting with a clean language model helps. 

Hello all :)

Aren't we drifting in this thread away from the original topic : recent global loss of prediction quality ?

I thank you all for your help. @Prad i did what you told just after you said it (deleting all typing data). My new keybord map is attached. I also tried to disconnect and reconnect. SwiftKey read all my emails again, to learn. Maybe I should try again without learning through my emails ?

The quality of the prediction is grossly the same. Sometimes it's just totally wrong. It appears to be something with punctuation, SK wanting to insert it when i don't want to. I'll keep you posted if I notice in what situation it apperas.

Thank you !

Typing_Heatmap-16-02-2017.png