Welcome to SwiftKey Insiders Community

This community has now become "SwiftKey Insiders" - built around SwiftKey users who want to help shape the future of SwiftKey products from the ground up. 

This is not a support community. If you are looking for general support, feedback and feature requests, please visit our support site here.

Note: this community is only available for SwiftKey for Android at this time

But if you would like to join our iOS or Windows lists to be notified when we launch on these platforms, please let us know.

Sign up here if you're interested in:

• Seeing early designs
  • Playing with prototypes
  • Taking surveys 
  • Giving thoughtful honest feedback

mrcarner

Stock Android 4.2 Keyboard

mrcarner    0

Hi SK!

Been a very loyal user now for a couple years. Turned at least a dozen people onto SwiftKey in that time and none of them have any regrets.

I was surprised at how much better Google's stock keyboard was with the introduction of Jelly Bean (4.1). It does seem to be just a bit quicker than using SwiftKey, although SwiftKey still takes the cake for prediction (not only current word, but next word).

It does look though that Google has stepped the game up yet again with their 4.2 keyboard. Adding in the "Swype" style like you guys are doing, and presumably integrating next work prediction (at least it looks like it from the videos I've seen).

It will be hard to continue to justify the data space and inconvenience of installing SwiftKey if the stock Android keyboard finally catches up.

What do you guys have in mind for future features to keep us loyal fans around?

Thanks,

Matt

EeZeEpEe    638

I tried using the 4.2 keyboard and it does seem pretty close to what SwiftKey Flow is going to be like. I like the floating current letter as you're swiping/gliding around. The current and next word prediction is okay and just doesn't have SwiftKey's social networking ability to log in. One thing that would be nice for SwiftKey to add is a theme that can make use of the T-mobile Theme Engine themes. Stock keyboards do it just fine. If they add that in flow, SwiftKey would be even closer to perfect in my eyes. The best of both usability and customization.

shawner47    0

The stock 4.2 keyboard is ok. I can't say that it is great though. The prediction is not nearly as good for sure and it seems like it has much less forgiveness when swiping/gliding fast. SwiftKey is very good at error correction as well as prediction. I have had many instances already where 4.2 stock completely misses the word I was trying for even after a few attempts. At that point I have to go back to touch typing.

At least when using Swype it was much better at error correction when swiping quickly. Flow I expect to be even better since SwiftKey3 is fantastic at correcting my speedy mistakes.

Tapper    2,324

Hi SK!

What do you guys have in mind for future features to keep us loyal fans around?

Thanks,

Matt

All we can state at this point is stay tuned. You guys haven't even tried SwiftKey Flow yet! We'll be sure to let you know when it becomes available for Beta testing.

maff    1

Gotta admit that being able to gesture-type and tap-type on the same keyboard is pretty awesome.

Just pointing out, you can gesture-type and tap-type on every keyboard that supports gesture-typing. Swype, the HTC stock keyboard, that T9 Swipe keyboard, they all support conventional typing too.

Nibo    4

Even if the Google stock keyboard becomes up to par with sk, I'd prefer to support a startup rather than just stick with Googles. Sk has a nice little Community going I'd rather support this and be a Google fan everywhere else lol

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Tapper    2,324

Even if the Google stock keyboard becomes up to par with sk, I'd prefer to support a startup rather than just stick with Googles. Sk has a nice little Community going I'd rather support this and be a Google fan everywhere else lol

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

We definitely appreciate your support, Nibo. :cool:

AirieFenix    0

The 4.2 stock keyboard is a major improvement from previous stock versions. I really really like the floating predicted word and the general smoothness. But Swiftkey is just amazingly right when it should predict words; the stock keyboard is not a fighter in therms of prediction.

BTW, what happened with Swiftkey Flow? No beta?

beez1717    8

I like the keyboard a lot but I miss the prediction engine so much. I feel kind of naked without it. What's the use if my keyboard can't predict what I'm typing? Not doing that guarantees that I will get several irrelevant selections. At least learn from what I'm typing...

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk 2

strausd    3

Swipe typing on stock 4.2 is cool and all, but on my Nexus 4 there are multiple errors. And even more so when I am just tap-typing. The predictions are awful on it. I was using it for nearly a week, got Swiftkey one day and from the get go I noticed much better predictions. It saved me so much time not having to continually go back and change multiple words.

Although for 1 handed use, I miss swipe typing a lot.

EeZeEpEe    638

It's really difficult to tell which had better predictions because Swiftkey has the personalization feature of learning from Facebook, Gmail, Twitter, and SMS off the bat. Android 4.2 starts from scratch so the only way to make a true comparison is trying Swiftkey from scratch too. I'm will to bet that Swifkey still wins it though.

gtbarry    29

I like the floating current letter as you're swiping/gliding around.

This is something that drove me crazy with this keyboard. Just seemed to cover up keys and make it hard to know where to pivot on a letter.

I was really excited to use this keyboard. A long time user of Swype, I felt like this would be swype-liek enough and I could remove swype from my phone. I like to run as clean as possible with as few things in the background to improve my overall experience. So, a sliding native keyboard sounded perfect to me. (That, and the swype debacle with one of their updates not working with Jelly Bean and taking weeks to fix it.)

Things that I did not like about this keyboard included poor word prediction from the start (I know it would have gotten better over time, but how much should I have to suffer initially?) and the replacement word screen when going back to correct words just simply took over the screen and rarely had the word I needed anyway.

Given my experience with Swiftkey, I think that the things I don't like about this keyboard will not be present. And if Flow can be similar enough to swype - I will be sold!

I hate Google's keyboard on my Nexus 4. Nobody will get predictions right like SK does. NOBODY!!!!

Google nor Swype can't even predict my next word or typing style and the former knows more about me than I do. lol

I will ONLY use SK..I now brand loyalty is lame to some..But I stick to what helps e completely make a sentence with the least effort and time without abbreviating words like a 13yr old and having to backspace and retype every other word,

SwiftKey FLOW FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wide_opeN    4

Meanwhile, spare a thought for all the i-sheep, with their shiny new teensy-weensy iPhones, who can't Swype or type in any useful way at all :(

I shudder to think at having an iPhone anymore and not being able to Swype/Flow.

I'm so happy to have been freed from the iPhone matrix!!!

gtbarry    29

I really like the 4.2 keyboard for gesture typing my only problem is the keyboard layout. I don't like the fact that I have to switch to the numbers screen instead of just long pressing a character.

You can. You long press the numbers key (or maybe it's the period button) on the bottom row there and you will get a row of punctuations across the bottom

Phaze0085    1

I downloaded the apk for the 4.2 keyboard and honestly, the only cool thing about it is the floating letters that appear when youre swyping. I like the layout of SK much more. The ease of the placement of the letters is amazing. With the JB 4.2, you have to go in another layout just to get to the question mark or numbers. With SK, all that stuff right there in the main screen. For example,the question mark, coma, XP, and period are all found in a nice little drawer. The numbers are right there on the same screen and to get to them faster you just have to lower the duration. Honestly, Swiftkey is perfect for android because just as customizable as it is, so is SK, and now with the addition of flow, I may never use the swype keyboard. Keep up the good work guys and gals. Youre def. knocking down the competition.

jceholt    1

I do like the 4.2 keyboard but the biggest dealbreaker for me is the longpress time. It's just too long if you're a fast typer. I use punctuation in everything I type and having to wait what seems like an age for the punctuation options to pop up interrupts the...flow.... see what I did there?!