Welcome to SwiftKey Insiders Community

This community has now become "SwiftKey Insiders" - built around SwiftKey users who want to help shape the future of SwiftKey products from the ground up. 

This is not a support community. If you are looking for general support, feedback and feature requests, please visit our support site here.

Note: this community is only available for SwiftKey for Android at this time

But if you would like to join our iOS or Windows lists to be notified when we launch on these platforms, please let us know.

Sign up here if you're interested in:

• Seeing early designs
  • Playing with prototypes
  • Taking surveys 
  • Giving thoughtful honest feedback

eavdmeer

Minuum keyboard

eavdmeer    0

Just read an article on cnet about Minuum keyboard. Very interesting idea! Basically, it compresses all keys from the standard QWERTY layout into a single row. Combined with better gestures than SwiftKey supports, it can do away with the space bar an backspace keys. With two extra gestures (right for space and short left for backspace) this could perhaps be implemented as a SwiftKey skin. The rest of the technology (prediction, long press for alternate characters) used looks very similar to what is already present in SwiftKey.

Charlie    408

They'll definitely need some good language technology underneath their layout, as it's a lot more ambiguous than layouts with more buttons.

I wonder if they could skew it so that if you tapped near the bottom of the key you were more likely to be intending Z (but still could be Q or A) and if you hit near the top of the key you might be more likely to intend Q (but still could be A or Z).

nicholaaaas    21

I really don't like their marketing. They want donations, have a video that shows the keyboard. But don't even have a very basic apk to try out if you donate? Maybe their timetable wouldn't be so far off if they spent more time developing and less time schilling for donations

EeZeEpEe    638

I really don't like their marketing. They want donations, have a video that shows the keyboard. But don't even have a very basic apk to try out if you donate? Maybe their timetable wouldn't be so far off if they spent more time developing and less time schilling for donations

Development take time and money. You get the beta in June with the $5 donation.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2

nicholaaaas    21

Development take time and money. You get the beta in June with the $5 donation.

Time. It only costs money if you waste it on gimmicky videos schilling for donations. As far as I'm concerned; come back when you have a product

hcoonan    47

Power bills, computers, phones, not to mention food and other sustenance... All consumed during the process of app development.. They're all free?

Granted I'm happy with SK and not interested in paying for other keyboards.. But really.. Apps aren't free to develop.. And not everyone has the resource to fund it in advance themselves.. Hence the growth of crowd funding..

EeZeEpEe    638

Anyone else here get their beta? I got it yesterday and going to give it a solid week before I give a good final review. However, from the looks of it, my initial feelings are probably going to stick. I'll also keep trying it out every time they update just like I do with Swype.

Initial thoughts about it is that it's definitely a tap-typing keyboard. It's algorithms need to work on figuring out the word you're typing with a tight layout, it can only predict words for the amount of characters you input. That means it's not going to save you time by predicting current words with suggestions. It's basically all autocorrect. The good thing is that it does at least have next word predictions. Weird thing is that by default it uses gestures for spacebar, delete, and enter. I ended up turning the spacebar on cause tapping space and enter seemed more natural to do after all the tapping rather than swiping right.

Things it has that SwiftKey doesn't. (Not necessarily makes it better):

Adjust height of word suggestion.

Height adjustment is by pixels rather than a set of normal, small, large.

Import Android dictionary

Import contacts

Tapper    2,324

Thanks for the feedback, EZ. Judging by your feedback, it sounds like Charlie was right when she said "They'll definitely need some good language technology underneath their layout, as it's a lot more ambiguous than layouts with more buttons."

On a phone or tablet, I'm still not 100% convinced that such a shorter keyboard height would benefit me personally. When I type, I want to type and reach all of the letters with ease. Tablets and phones are probably not their ultimate goal. I can only assume that they are looking more into wearable tech which is still in its infancy at best. Some are talking Google Glass, but then one would be tapping on the side of their head without looking at the keyboard. Fundamentally, this seems pretty difficult to me.

Now that Minuum's Beta is available, feel free to let us know what you think in this thread.

nicholaaaas    21

Power bills, computers, phones, not to mention food and other sustenance... All consumed during the process of app development.. They're all free?

Granted I'm happy with SK and not interested in paying for other keyboards.. But really.. Apps aren't free to develop.. And not everyone has the resource to fund it in advance themselves.. Hence the growth of crowd funding..

Good for them. I got bills too. So when they have a product I'm interested in purchasing; they can get my money. Crowd sourcing is lazy

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

AkSLT    1

Using it at the moment too, and definitely taking a while to get used to it after so long on SK and SK Flow. I'm also getting used to the 'swipe right' to insert a space. Again, it's definitely a beta. The greatest advantage, as mentioned above, is the damatic increase in screen real estate and its direct benefit in messaging apps. Seems there's a decent sized backer community forming who are flooding in suggestions and feature requests.

It can only get better!

EDIT: removed a piece of info about the beta that may not be public info (as per forum rule)

Bozmo    0

I really like the idea of saving screen space. I've tested out Minuum for a while, their punctuation is a little difficult to use at the moment. Sliding space takes time to get used to, I just pulled out their space bar for faster tap typing. Since they ordered the letters in 1 row, you kind of have to learn the order of which letter is left/right of which. It always predicts "him" when I meant "you".

I wish SwiftKey would allow for pixel height adjustment for our keyboard and height adjustment for our suggestion bar. Then I would probably make the keyboard super small 3 row keyboard for blind typing similar concept to Minuum but without needing to learn the order of letters in a row.

EeZeEpEe    638

I dropped Minuum after a week. It was too frustrating to deal with typing new words. The screen space gained isn't worth the trouble.

Tapper    2,324

Interesting point, EZ.

I suppose I wonder if the increased screen height is worth other potential compromises. I'm not saying Minuum is bad in any way... I've not played with it much. Merely a conversation piece.

EeZeEpEe    638

Interesting point, EZ.

I suppose I wonder if the increased screen height is worth other potential compromises. I'm not saying Minuum is bad in any way... I've not played with it much. Merely a conversation piece.

Yeah if it had the personalization features of SwiftKey it would make it a whole lot better. But starting off from the scratch was pretty frustrating.

gtbarry    29

Minuum Keyboard is finally available in the Play Store for $4. Four. Dollars. No trial.

I don't get it. I signed up for the beta. And I hear nothing until they send me an email telling me to go get it for $4 in the Play Store.

"Minuum is here!

Because you signed up early, we're telling you first

Thanks for signing up for the second beta phase of the Minuum keyboard, the little keyboard for big fingers. We’re happy to tell you that the beta for Android is ready for you to try!"

Sorry. But I signed up for the beta and all I get is an email telling me to go buy it. You "re-imagine the keyboard" and all I get is a chance to pay $4 instead of trying it out first? Really?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.whirlscape.minuumkeyboard

EeZeEpEe    638

Minuum Keyboard is finally available in the Play Store for $4. Four. Dollars. No trial.

I don't get it. I signed up for the beta. And I hear nothing until they send me an email telling me to go get it for $4 in the Play Store.

"Minuum is here!

Because you signed up early, we're telling you first

Thanks for signing up for the second beta phase of the Minuum keyboard, the little keyboard for big fingers. We’re happy to tell you that the beta for Android is ready for you to try!"

Sorry. But I signed up for the beta and all I get is an email telling me to go buy it. You "re-imagine the keyboard" and all I get is a chance to pay $4 instead of trying it out first? Really?

https://play.google.....minuumkeyboard

You never got the beta email to sign up with the Google+ group back in June? I really didn't like the beta process. It relied only on the voting system and didn't have a forum like SwiftKey. With the $5 I donated I'm supposed to get beta access and "free access to future premium versions." but don't know when or how I'll get the second part. Lack of a trial version was a really bad choice and the 15 minute refund time isn't enough to know whether or not it's a keyboard you want daily.

Edit:

Oh just noticed it said "Thanks for signing up for the second beta phase" . When did you sign up? Maybe it was too late.

gtbarry    29

I don't recall when I signed up. But I don't personally think the definition of "beta" includes payment.

I did hear this from my email to them about what I think is an ill-advised $4 (no trial) pricing plan:

We have big plans for the keyboard! We want to support a large number of international languages, and continuously improve the user experience. By paying a small amount, customers like you can help us to make all this happen.

gtbarry    29

I think they are being very short-sighted with their pricing. But I do give them kudos for replying to me....

ME:

re-imagine your pricing. If you are totally revolutionary and "re-imagining the keyboard" I don't want to pay $4 to try it out. That is why I signed up for the beta.

Good luck being more expensive than SwiftKey for a keyboard concept no one has ever used before. Ever hear of a trial? or beta version for those who signed up for your beta?

Minuum:

On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 12:21 PM, Minuum Support <support@minuum.com> wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for your email: Minuum is a small independent company, and with the support of our Indiegogo backers thus far we have been able to maintain that independence.

We have big plans for the keyboard! We want to support a large number of international languages, and continuously improve the user experience. By paying a small amount, customers like you can help us to make all this happen.

Regards,

The Minuum Team

ME:

Thank you for replying. But you can't think short-term here. If you are truly revolutionary, it will take time for people to catch on and learn the advantages to your keyboard. Sure you can make a few dollars here and there early, as people download to try. But if they don't try it long enough to like it, you will build an army of people telling everyone to not buy your product as it is a waste of $4.

Realize that you are going up against two keyboards (SwiftKey and Swype) with strong brands and customer loyalty. And I can buy BOTH of them for the same price as your one keyboard I have never seen before or have any clue if I will like. If I buy one of the other keyboards I mentioned, at least I can just tap away on a familiar keyboard. Or take solace in the fact I didn't pay $4.

You are hurting your Brand before you even have a Brand Identity by only charging and charging too much.